Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Small deer die faster? >

Small deer die faster?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Small deer die faster?

Old 09-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Small deer die faster?

Ive shot two "fawns", one being My first a BB(Liver), and another doe fawn(Lung/heart). Neither ran outta sight. Last year, my spike(lung) ran way out of sight... so my question is,

DO you think smaller deer die faster? Smaller organs, smaller lung capacity, less air... makes sense to me.....?
Old 09-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Small deer die faster?

no,

my buck and doe that i shot with my bow (both lung shots) went only 30 and 80 yards or so and died rather quick.Last year me and my brother both shot BB's with our 12 gauges (both heart shots) and it took them 5 minutes to die with their throats cut.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

No i've shot little BB'S and Big Does also bucks and as long as you put good shots on them no matter the size they will expire rather quickly.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quite random i would say, ive seen big fat old does die within 50 yards and ive seen button bucks run for miles. I think it depends on each deer and its will to live. Deer do have a personality too, they are not all robots.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree Al, I just was thinking would a less than perfect shot on a Fawn, be more fatal than that same shot ona mature deer?
Old 09-06-2008, 04:39 PM

Nope, mostly depends on their state of mind when you hit them. If they are alerted or jacked up before you let the arrow go they can go a long ways sometimes. Same happens if there is more than one sometimes. They just run for all they have until they keel over. And they can cover a LOT of ground in a short amount of time if they want to.

Now if they are relaxed and the arrow zips right through them sometimes they just run a little ways and stop trying to figure out what happened. And by the time they figure it out it's too late.

Like said above, it really is random and you never know what will happen.

The little ones do taste better though.

Paul
Old 09-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

nope, shot a yearling several years ago and went well over 200 yards was a lung/liver hit .. Think like is already stated lot depends on how wired they are to begin with and some deer just have a more determined will to live
Old 09-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

It all has to do with noise of bow, felt impact, shot placement, and the deer's sense of awareness at impact...ie..A deer that had been meandering through an oak ridge eating acorns gets smoked by a VERY quiet bow with a VERY sharp Bhead through the center of the lungs will run way less distance than a deer that got driven or bumped to a hunter that shoots an unsilenced dual cam with vortex heds and hit the same spot.....
Old 09-06-2008, 08:30 PM

I will have to disagree about the noisy bow part. My hunting partners bow sounds like a two by four hitting a screen door and he has had deer stand there and continue feeding until they bled out. Not to mention I have had deer shot with a muzzle loader have the same reaction, and that sucker makes some noise.

I have noticed not getting a pass through makes a big difference though.

Paul
Old 09-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

My experience is the opposite,perfect kill shots on little deer is alot harder than a perfect kill shot on a larger deer,the vitals are so darned small.[8D]

I do believe a big mature buck will run further than a young deer if both have the same perfect center lung shot.BUT I do agree with their amount of alertness at the time being a factor but the big buck will usually be more alert.

Quick Reply: Small deer die faster?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.