Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Small deer die faster? >

Small deer die faster?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Small deer die faster?

Old 09-10-2008, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Small deer die faster?

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

She managed to run 75 yards[:-]
Which would have taken her all of 6 or 7 seconds to cover that distance even with out a leg.

Facts are facts. A healthylivinganimal needs to loose a certain ammount of its total blood volumebefore it will die. The bigger the animal the more blood there is to loose and the longer it takes to loose that blood.
bigbulls ~ I agree with you blood loss analogy, so the bigger deer would have possibly taken 8 or 9 seconds???

Not to overlook other "possible facts" in my example, like tissue damage, trauma, etc...

I realize this is in the "Archery" section and I side-stepped into a gun example, so broad heads are the killing factor.
In saying this, what are your thoughts on other instances I've witness?
* Like an arrow snapping off inside the chest cavity and the broken end of the arrow paralyzing the Deer.
** Broadside shot through the lungs only, where not only blood loss, but oxygen is part of the dying factor?
~ The bigger Deer would probably need more oxygen in this case and I would guess it would die quicker?
*** I would guess some deer are tougher than others, small or big. Although I haven't come across any facts on this, I will gander this belief based on that I have an extreme tolerance to/for pain, compared to most others, and try to associate this with my guess.
Arrows do cause trauma and tissue damage and this too can contribute to the deer's death, not just blood loss.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Does a small deer shot with a fixed head, die faster than a big deer shot with a mechanical? [8D]

Or vice versa?

Old 09-10-2008, 06:52 AM

For heart and double lung shots, my answer is a little faster because like said, less overall blood volume. My answer on marginal shots like liver and gut shots is a most definitive YES. The younger/smaller the deer, the more quickly the effects of a liver and/or gut shot take effect on that deer (enough for death or for a follow up shot to be possible). I can think of 3 mature bucks that I have been involved with that were all straight liver shots (confirmed after the fact) and still alive when found 8-14 hours later. I also can think of two mature bucks involved with that were gut shot and went.5-.75 mile after hit. Younger deer don't live that long with a hole in their liver, nor do they go very far at all when gut shot and in fact most times you see them lay down.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 AM

ORIGINAL: niehenke

I cannot understand why you would want to take a fawn or button buck. Hunting is a challege. What is the challege in hunting a fawn? Have them come in, enjoy watching their movements, take pictures, and you will see them develop into a challege over the years. They will change their entries, times, their senses improve, they train their young, etc. Enjoy that mature harvest after watching them develop. I knew someone who shot a button buck that the neighbors were feeding out of their hand. Not saying that it was right, but taking that button buck had to have been a real challege, not! If you need meat that bad, call me.
Seriously...hunting is a privellege and is in place for management of the natural resource. That management madates that population control takes place by removal of females. I would loose my permission on some places if the landowner knew I passed up any legal female deer. I go hunting to kill something, have antlerless tags in my pocket, and so will kill a doe fawn if I choose (and I normally choose to).
Old 09-10-2008, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I dont know I dont shoot the little ones. But this one only ran 40-50 yards before dropping dead.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

A lot of variables in this one. But in all, I believe older more mature deer are tougher then fawns and will take longer to to expire, especially from a marginal shot.