Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 need help making bow quiet >

need help making bow quiet

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need help making bow quiet

Old 09-07-2008, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: need help making bow quite

Wow, way to go. You didn't capitalize your I twice in the last post....lol. Just pickin on ya. I have an STS on my bow which is exactly like the MeanV. hmmm
Old 09-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the help guys, to answer some of the questions from earlier, I am shooting Epic 400's. They are 8.2gpi (grams per inch). If my draw is 29 then i THINK my arrow is 30. Not positive though. I have some Easton arrows with a realtree coating on them that makes them a little heavier. Those are 10gpi. Is that substantial enough for those of you that said shoot heavier arrows or do I need to go heavier? Thanks again
Old 09-07-2008, 09:19 AM

Default RE: need help making bow quiet

ORIGINAL: jimmy28303

I shoot a Mathews Switchback and was shooting the other day with a friend of mine. He shoots a Hoyt and i started to notice that his bow is SUPER quiet and my sounded like a gun going off compared to his. I just wanted to know of maybe some ways to make mine more silent. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is 29" draw @ 65#. Thanks
Jimmy,
I read your post the other day and I was out shooting today. I have the tube peep sight and decided to pull the tube and shoot without a peep. The difference was huge. My bow is much quieter and I seem to shoot just as well without a peep. I have a kisser button that helps my anchor position stay the same.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

A tuned bow is a quiet bow in most instances. Take your bow and all the equipment you will have on your bow when you hunt and have an experienced tech help you set it up. Most noise will be eliminated when you are shooting the correct arrow on a tuned bow. If there is still noise after tuning, then you can try a few of the add-ons to reduce vibration and noise.[/align]
Old 09-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

8.2 gpi is heavy enough. I would focus on some of the other areas. The peep tube is a big noise maker and a pain to maintain. Maybe pull it off and shoot a few to determine noise reduction.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

thanks guys, i took my bow today and replaced the ancient stabilizer on it and also put some string leeches on it. i replaced my fall away rest cause it is like 4 years old and the guy showed me by picking it up and letting it go that it made a HUGE metal on metal noise. sooooooo, i am going to shoot it tomorrow outside but i shot it a couple of times in the shop and it appeared to be a tremendous difference. we will see.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360

ORIGINAL: jimmy28303

LMAO!!!! actually i know it is spelled quiet but i type really fast and sometimes my mind works faster then my fingers.

Reckon' i should get me some more better book learning!
What a load of BS, you dont mispell a word every single time you type it.

And if not spell checking is not laziness what is it?

In the time it took you to reply to my post you could of edited the thread and spell it right.
Who gives a crap? Give me a break! I guess you are lazy because you have all kinds of errors in your post. Spelling nazi. [:@]
Old 09-08-2008, 04:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Takes time but making everything pull it's own weight reduces a lot. When itdoes one thing isn't straining to make up for another; The strain is a noise producer. Kind of like a car that needs a tune up.

The bow itself has a problem, the string length, it's very long. I agree with others that a supressor is helpful on bows with long strings. Even then there seems to be exsessive vibration with the strings. That Hoyt has a string at least 20"'s shorter.

I would think on bows with long strings a tubless peep would be hard to keep aligned, but I can't say for sure.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

A piece of moleskin under that rest should shut it up just fine.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Well I shot my bow today after getting a better stabilizer and putting leaches on it and replacing the rest. OMG it is a diff of night and day. I could not believe how quiet it is. I had a friend shoot it and i stood about 15 away and 99% of the noise you heard was from the arrow zipping through the air. I am very pleased with it and thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Good luck hunting this year. I take a week of leave next week to hunt my land in NC for the opening week.