Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 need to get my bow quiet >

need to get my bow quiet

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

need to get my bow quiet

Old 01-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default need to get my bow quiet

What is the best siliencers for your recurve to get it to be a little quieter? I have nothing on it right now. If i put somthing like cat wiskers on it,when i loosen my string up and take it of is it going to mess the siliencers up?
Old 01-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: need to get my bow quiet

Biggest and first thing is to get the brace height correct. Also make sure there is no arrow contact with the riser.After that I like to use leeches (tied in)on the string (experiment with the position, but start with the 1/4 rule). If you want to be more "traditional" use beaver, wool, or muskox. For my recurves, Ieither use bow hushes or felt (or moleskin) or even both (hushes and moleskin) on the back of the limbwherethe string slaps it.

Sometimes if it's still loud you could try a different string material.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:03 AM

A heavier arrow will help quicker than anything IMO - I like big fleece string puffs too. Limb Savers never seemed to do anything for me because I get my brace height set to make the bow as vibration free as possible.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

well i am going to get the string from hitting the wood on the back. That is the noice,and the string is loud.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:31 AM

You want to get your bow tuned with brace height and nock location correct. Cat whiskers are cheap and work fine.

Granted that heavier arrows will absorb more noise, but that may not be a practical solution to your problem for one reason or another.

To get the most out of the cat whiskers or any other silencer, they should be strategically placed. With the bow strung measure the distance between points where the string touches the limb on each end.Place each silencer 1/4 of that distance from each limb touch point. For example, suppose the distance between touch points is 50 inches. Placeeach silencer 12 1/2 inches from each touch point.

There is a reason this works and it has something to do with harmonics or something. For even more silencing you can place the silencer 1/3 of the total distance away from each touch point. Personally, I think that is unnecessary if the bow is tuned.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:43 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

There's a lot of things you can do to get a bow quiet, or at least quieter. Cat whiskers are my favorite silencer--I tie mine on around the string with serving material or you can also use dental floss or some other strong thread. This keeps them in place when you unstring the bow, and you can move them up or down the string to tune them. Moving the silencers up or down the string even an inch can make a big difference on some bows.

As was already noted, the first step is tuning the brace height. Find the quiet spot with no silencers attached. Add silencers at the 1/3 or 1/4 points on the string (or a small set on both, if it has a lot of vibration). Keep them fairly small--big silencers can make their own noise and slow down your bow.

Other things that can affect bow noise: along with string slap, a nock that fits too tight, arrows that aren't the proper spine (can slap the riser as they pass), a poor release, and some tabs make a slapping noise.

Chad
Old 01-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

My new bow was making quite a racket when I first started shooting it. Being so new to traditional I didn't know I could tune my brace height so I just threw some cat whiskers on and what a difference. I placed them about 1/4 way. I installed mine using small wire ties. No, not the kind on bread bags, the kind used to hold wires together. They are easy to use, hold the silencer in place well, and are easy to slide up and down the string. They also go on faster than tying them on.