Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hanging stands

Old 08-31-2008, 09:06 AM

Default RE: hanging stands

I have both climbers and hang-ons. Up untill this year I've never 'hung and hunted' with the hang-on/climbing sticks but have hunted on the fly several times successfully with the climbers. Normally the climbers just stay on the same/several trees, though.

I recently purchased some rapid rails and lightweight stand that puts the total weight around 23 lbs. and hope to gain a large amount of mobility while still using a hang on stand. I'll probably keep it in the same tree for a while, but could move it fairly quick if need be.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hanging stands

I would think that no matter what your 'preference' is, a person would expand their equipment to include all the possibilities for any given situation----if you can afford it.
I know I have.
Using not just hang ons, ladders, climbing steps, climbing stands, Tree Saddles, screw in steps.
During your 'pre-scouting' you should make notes to what trees and type of stands should be used and switch your equipment accordingly.
Putting ANY TYPE OF STAND UP without using a safety harness/climbing belt is playing with fire and putting your life on the line no matter how old or what kind of shape your in.
But then again I refer to common sense and Darwin's Law of Survival!