Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hanging stands

Old 08-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hanging stands

Hey guys I usually hunt from the ground but broke down and bought a hang on stand to try this year. I went out to hang it up and try it out and it seems like there has to be an easier way. Can anyone share some tips so I might be able to do this in a timely manner and not wear myself out? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin
Old 08-02-2006, 08:35 PM

Default RE: Hanging stands

LOL..your post brings back so many memories. The first time I hung one of those I looked like the perverbial monkey w/ the perverbial football, if you know what I mean!! Just takes some practice. Work at ground height a few times, till you figure out how it locks on the tree. Then maybe put a step or 2 in and try it on the steps. Don't forget to use your harness. It won't take long and you'll have it.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Site Buck Guru

If the stand is on your left when you're facing the tree, trying to fasten the strap around the tree... Your first step should be on your right, just off the ground. You should always make the strap connection closest to your body. Not on the opposite side of the tree. If you do this right and only use your steps (no branches) you will use an odd number of steps to get in your stand. Always bring like 4 extra steps for additional hand holds or to hang equiptment etc. Be safe at all times.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:54 PM

Bring a friend with bad memory
Old 08-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Obvioulsy a lot depends on what make and model of stand you have but for the most part it does just take a little bit of practice and you'll master the set-up process. If it's a simple hang-onstyle like a Gorrila or similardesign then it's probably acamaction type and these are far easier to set up then most. I grasp the stand with my left hand, fasten the strap and then cam action the platform down and the stand will lock nicely against the tree. If I'm going to be leaving the stand up for awhile I'll also add a ratchet strap for rock solid stability.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

what stand did you buy?
Old 08-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

Great post.I've been meaning to ask the same question.You guys responded with some good helpful info as well.I bought one last year and had a heck of a time with the steps and the stand.I locked it to the tree because I had sucha hard time I figured I'd leave it for the next hunt.Someone else has that stand now.Man I hate a theif.
Thanks again,
James
Old 08-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys - I bought the Big Game Boss tree stand. It is a strap type and it seems easy but while I am trying to hug the tree hold the stand with my left hand and somehow find the strap with the right hand and not fall off it was very interesting.

I am glad no one was there to make fun of me. Does anyone ever put a step above where the tree stand is going and then hoist it up and tie it off. That was my idea for putting that sucker up next time. That way I can throw the strap around and catch it in the right hand without dropping the stand. Seems like it would work I guess.

Not to mention it was like 98° out and I about died of heat exhaustion
Old 08-02-2006, 09:41 PM

First of all, make sure your're wearing your safety harness!! Aside from the tips already given, you will find that if you use a linemans belt attached to your harness, and around the tree,it leaves both hands free to work with the stand straps.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bring a friend with bad memory
LOL!!

My one tip I'll offer up is to screw in one additional step at the level of your stand when you get up there... That way, you can step up onto it, then DOWN onto your stand. You won't believe how much easier this will make things.

Quick Reply: Hanging stands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.