Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 G5 Peep sight??? >

G5 Peep sight???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

G5 Peep sight???

Old 08-28-2008, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: G5 Peep sight???

I had the same problem after I put a string loop on my Vectrix. I took it to the shop (Lancaster Archery), and they put a half twist in the string. Thatfixed the problem with no after effects.My peepaligns perfectly every time.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:58 AM
Dominant Buck

2 things come to mind...

1. If you tie your D-loop "in line" with your peep .....HOW can it be twisted when you come to full draw?

2. If you do No. 1.....will (I have no idea) your string not "train" itself to that position after repeated use?

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2008, 07:02 AM

1. If done correctly, yes....when you hook on to your D-loop, you will pull your peep square because you will have to twist the string to draw.

2. No. Simply doing the above will not train your string. You have to press the bow and put a 1/2 or full twist in the string. Because, every time you release, the string will return to it's original position.

Another thing you can try is this.....Take a strand at a time off of 1 side of the peep and move it to the other side. This will sometimes square them up.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, Mobow...

In setting up a new bow....I've learned that a string will "train" itself...."settle"....whateveryawannacallit to the point that you many times have to adjust your peep. If it's not dramatic......simply re-tying a new loop will do the trick.

The trick RE: adding and removing strands is one I'd employ over twisting cables and strings, though. Just personal preference? I really don't know why....but messing with the cables and strings would be my last ditch effort to thwart this.

(and again....MY issue....if you guys say it's perfectly OK....I trust you)
Old 08-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobow

Another thing you can try is this.....Take a strand at a time off of 1 side of the peep and move it to the other side. This will sometimes square them up.
yeppers it sure does thats the best method i have used and it works well
Old 08-28-2008, 08:13 AM

The "training" I THINK you are referring to is the result of string stretch. A new string (most anyway, but not all) will stretch just a little bit after it's "shot it" resulting in the turning of the peep because the twist has now changed. The way that is normally fixed is by twisting the string. But you're right, you don't want to twist it too much, because you effectively shorten the string by doing so, throwing your bow out of spec and thus....a tuning issue will normally ensue. A couple of twists, though, don't hurt anything. SOMETIMES those blasted peeps just will not line up.....IF you can get away with it, and still see through your peep comfortably, sliding it up/down the string will rotate it as well. But again, it's gotta be set so you are comfortable first and foremost. From there you can twist/untwist the string, move strands......and you're dead on, the quickest, simplest, and most often employed tactic I see is turning your loop so that it pulls square.

I myself am rather fickle, I don't want it "to work" I want it right. I want the peep and loop square, w/out my having to turn it. So, I take some extra time getting that peep squared up. Sometimes, that can be a real SOB...But, in any event, if your string has been "shotin," with a little work and some patience you should be able to get it square.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

One thing I have found to work is this: I serve the string above and below the peep and slidethem towards the peep to lock it in (once the peep is set I also tie it in place). While sliding them towards the peep it will cause some minor rotation and you can use this to get your peep rotated into the correct position.

As far as twisting the string, I have never had to do more thanone twist in either direction and this has had no effect on DW, DL or tuning of the bow.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

2 things come to mind...

1. If you tie your D-loop "in line" with your peep .....HOW can it be twisted when you come to full draw?
Jeff I know mobow kinda covered this already, but I have a few observations of my own for your consideration.

First, the shorter a bow is (axel to axel) the more prone it is to peep rotation on the draw (in my experience), same goes for having a longer draw length. Reason being that the string is often also twisted up on the cams. Longer strings (single cam bows) seem to be more prone to this than two cam bows. Again, just my experience here. I'm no string maker, while I am a tech for a living, there is a pile of stuff I don't know. Just getting some stuff out for open intelligent discussion.

Also, the quality of the string has a fair amount to do with it. As well as how many twists are in the string already.

2. If you do No. 1.....will (I have no idea) your string not "train" itself to that position after repeated use?
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. A lot of that comes back to what kind of bow you have and how good a string you got. I like to put the peep in the string before I even set the nock point, simply because that can have an effect on how the string loop will sit. If I tie the nock sets in, put the loop on (I tie very tight, short loops) and then put in the peep... lots of times the loop will end up twisted around the side of the string. Putting the peep in first, and ball parking the height makes all the difference.

FWIW, putting a twist in the string or taking one out is a negliable difference on a compound, at least one with a string over 48" and certainly so on a single cam. Now, putting a twist in the cables on the other hand.... that can throw your timing all off. Once a bow is timed I don't touch the cables, and if I mess with the string I recheck the timing just to be safe. Everybody has a different way of doing things.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

If your current peep isn't coming around fully, switching to a G5 isn't going to magically fix the issue.

Here are a couple options;

1.) If you currently shoot with a D-loop, have a new one tied on better than the one you currently have.
2.) If you don't shoot with a D-loop, have one tied on properly.
3.) Take your bow into a shop and have them put one half twist in your string in the direction that the peep needs to be rotated more towards. You may need to have your loop re-tied or adjusted after this.
4.) Purchase a peep aligner and shoot with tubing.

You can definitely switch to a G5 peep, but it isn't going to fix the issue you're currently having.

(This has all been said assuming you're currently shooting a peep that splits your string in two, not into thirds. If this isn't the case, a G5 peep may fix the issue.)
5. move some strands around the peep to counter act the rotation. A press will be needed. This will put the peep at the correct position prior to drawing to allow the peep to turn EXACTLy where it needs to be.

It's the G5 that's your issue, it's the installation.