Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who uses decoys? >

Who uses decoys?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who uses decoys?

Old 08-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Who uses decoys?

Do you guys ever use decoys? Do you prefer buck or doe decoys, or both at the same time? Do you use estrus scent with your doe decoy? Do they work for you always, sometimes, or never?

I have a Flambeau doe decoy but I've never used it because it seems like a hassle. I might give it a shot this year, but I really have no clue how to best use it.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Who uses decoys?

I've used the Flambeau bedded decoy on a number of occassions with less than desirable results. Seems every deer that sees it immediately goes on alarm. This has been both bucks and does as it was set up as a buck or a doe.

I'm interested in this thread as well as I'm thinking about ordering that new BIG decoy from Cabelas or Gander. This one. I'm interested in any feedback on it. It's made by Flambeau.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I've used the Flambeau bedded decoy on a number of occassions with less than desirable results. Seems every deer that sees it immediately goes on alarm. This has been both bucks and does as it was set up as a buck or a doe.

I'm interested in this thread as well as I'm thinking about ordering that new BIG decoy from Cabelas or Gander. This one. I'm interested in any feedback on it. It's made by Flambeau.

JESUS ROB! That thing would scare the crap out of every buck in the state of Michigan LOL. Idon't think that would work for me. Do they make spike horn decoys?

Old 08-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year was my first year of using a decoy.

I bought a Carry Lite with removable antlers. I used it as a doe and a buck throughout the year and had very good success. One particular morning I had a fork try to mount it, a 130 class 8 and a 1.5yr. 8 spar in front of it, then a 140 10 point come posturing in to it.

The key is getting it scent free. I would wash it with scent free soap after every hunt, store it in a shed where it wouldn't get stunk up, and then spray it down with scent killer as I set it up in the field. Also, make sure the deer aren't going to be downwind of it when approaching. This way they will have to circle it and probably offer you a shot. A doe should be faced away from as a buck will most of the time approach a doe from the rear and a buck facing you as a mature buck will posture in towards the opponents head.

Some does did not like the decoy however. I was set up on the field edge and would watch some does come 5-10 yards from the edge and stop before skirting around the field. Also had a 160 class stud 12 point not even pay any attention to it.

I didn't harvest a buck over the decoy last year, but it led to maybe the most exciting hunt I have had so far.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love to decoy but it is not a given, I only use it as a buck and I only use one antler on mine so it doesn't freak out the little bucks that come in the fields. I have had good results decoying if you watch our first video beyond the kill I decoyed my buck I killed in that one. This is the decoy I will be useing this year because it seemed like if something was missing it was movement and this one the head bobbles and the tail is made of fur!! Walt
Old 08-28-2008, 05:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's one badass decoy

Old 08-28-2008, 05:39 AM

I will be using a decoy this year for the first time. Probably do doe all year around to start and see how it works. I may throw the antlers on during the rut or just after the rut. I dunno, I think a decoy any time of the year wouldnt hurt. I was curious as to rather a decoy that has his/her head down (feeding) would be the best when other deer see it? Perhaps a deer with its head down would mean that they arent on high alert and staring off into one direction?
Old 08-28-2008, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

Nice timing on this post. I am planning on buying one today. I would love to hear more opinions. I have never used one in the past.
Chris
Old 08-28-2008, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I also feel movement is the key to success, I am thinking of a new bobble head ones.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

I used the Carry-Lite decoy last year, I had good results when I pulled tha antlers off and just used it as a Doe. I had a nice buck come in from down wind of me, he was fixed on that doe decoy and didnt even hesitate as he approached. He walked at least 50yds while downwind of me until he took his final step ever before entering my freezer.

Quick Reply: Who uses decoys?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.