Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Define "High Fence" >

Define "High Fence"

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Define "High Fence"

Old 08-21-2008, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default Define "High Fence"

There is a lot of talk about high fence vs. fair chase, but I'm not sure that I know what the definition of high fence is. Is it 6 feet, 8, 10 or higher? I ask this because here on the Navy Base where I work we have an 8 foot fence around the entire installations 1,700 acres. There are a lot of great deer here, but I personally don't consider them to be fenced in...eventhough the fence is 8 feet tall. I say this because I have personally seen a deer jump this fence and go to another area. So, if they can jump it, is it still high fence in your opinion or would you consider hunting a place like this not to be "fair chase"?
Old 08-21-2008, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Define "High Fence"

My brother in laws deer pens are 8' fence. I have seen a deer TRY to jump it. He had to euthanize(sp) that doe. The top of the fence ripped her open. I consider any fence that the majority of deer in a herd cannot cross to be a high fence. EDIT: That said I wouldn't have a problem with hunting on that base despite the fence. the purpose of that fence is not to restrict the movement of game animals even if that is a by product.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hopefully this thread will get lots of responses. I cant wait to hear what all the "holy than thou" crew has to say about this.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Popcorn! I'll be the first!
Old 08-21-2008, 06:19 AM
Dominant Buck

My definition isANY heightfence that the deerperceive as an unformidable boundary.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Anywhere an animal is restricted andcannot get in or out.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Anywhere an animal is restricted and cannot get in or out.
Wouldn't you have to say, however, that there's a fundamental difference between what we all know of as a "high fence operation" and a fenced in military installation? While both are surrounded by a high fence, this is definitely comparing apples and oranges. On a military installation, there's no supplemental feeding to grow moster racks; no strategically placed feeders or food plots; no "guides" to place you where you're guaranteed a shot at a P&Y or B&C buck. You'd have to hunt this area the same way you'd hunt free range,... especially on a military installation that is measured in square miles and not acres.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:27 AM
Bartender

Old 08-21-2008, 06:28 AM
Site Buck Guru

I'm quite sure that the fence in question was not erected to control the deer herd. I'd hunt it if I were there.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Anywhere an animal is restricted and cannot get in or out.
Wouldn't you have to say, however, that there's a fundamental difference between what we all know of as a "high fence operation" and a fenced in military installation? While both are surrounded by a high fence, this is definitely comparing apples and oranges. On a military installation, there's no supplemental feeding to grow moster racks; no strategically placed feeders or food plots; no "guides" to place you where you're guaranteed a shot at a P&Y or B&C buck. You'd have to hunt this area the same way you'd hunt free range,... especially on a military installation that is measured in square miles and not acres.
I totaly agree Chief!

Quick Reply: Define "High Fence"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.