Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Define "High Fence" >

Define "High Fence"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Define "High Fence"

Old 08-21-2008, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Define "High Fence"

No the fences on Military bases, etc are not designed to keep animals in and out but to secure a perimeter around a private sector(s) that can only be accessed with permission of the US Government and thereof. I would hunt the hell out of it as long as you have access.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would hunt it in a second, wouldnt think twice about it, but to play the devils advocate here, no matter what the fence was constructed for, according to alot of people on this site, it will impede the deers movements and give the hunter a huge advantage. Like i said, i would hunt it and have hunted a multi thousand acre ranch in texas once. I know that the fence doesnt impede the deer and that they are wild. Come on now fellas, i know you have read this, get off your high horses and chime in.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Dominant Buck

There's a place her ein town.....owned by the RJReynolds Co..

It constitutes sqare miles of area......but I can ASSURE you if I had access to hunt it (no one does) a deer taken from there would NOT be constituted as being taken via "fair chase" in the eyes of "most".

The fence was put up to keep people out (reduce risk liability) and not to keep deer "in". Yet.....they have nowhere to go.

I see it a little differently than most.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

The fence is there, and the deer can't get around it, that's a high fence hunting area. It may not be set up that way, or designed with the hunter in mind, but it is still a high-fence hunting scenario. A close friend of my dad owns a high fence operation in the U.P. of MI and he has 1450 acres under fence, that is just 250 acres shy of that military installation. Is it the same thing? His deer can't leave either. Feeders and guides don't make a high-fence, the fence does.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm afraid I have to agree with yooper and GMMAT. regardless of the purpose for the fence it is still a fence none the less. I guess the real question should be would the majority of people hunt the situation, being it is not viewed as an "operation" i'm thinking it would be higher than we think.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

High fence is high fence regardless of its original intent. That said, high fences NOT with the sole intent of keeping animals in, probably don’t do so in 100% fashion but some probably do.
After that the acreage within and validity of pursuit is up to the individuals choice as to whether they are cool with hunting under those conditions.

A little more devils advocate….is hunting on one of the smaller Hawaiian Islands = hunting a high fence?
Old 08-21-2008, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

I'm quite sure that the fence in question was not erected to control the deer herd. I'd hunt it if I were there.
X2
Old 08-21-2008, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

As I stated in my original post, I have personally seen a deer successfully jump this fence...so they can leave if they want to. I've only seen it once and maybe this particular deer was wearing Nikes with springs in them in order to make the jump. I'm not sure if getting over 8 feet is a big deal or not, but this one did it easily.

ORIGINAL: YooperMike

The fence is there, and the deer can't get around it, that's a high fence hunting area. It may not be set up that way, or designed with the hunter in mind, but it is still a high-fence hunting scenario. A close friend of my dad owns a high fence operation in the U.P. of MI and he has 1450 acres under fence, that is just 250 acres shy of that military installation. Is it the same thing? His deer can't leave either. Feeders and guides don't make a high-fence, the fence does.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

8 feet? That might be a stretch even for a whitetail. 6 feet? No problem for most of them.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

I used to hunt it almost exclusivly because I did not have access to other land and there are very nice deer here and a buck/doe ratio of very close to 1/1. However, part of my enjoyment of hunting comes from the peace and quiet that I get while in my stand and I don't get much of that with F/A-18s constantly doing touch and gos.

ORIGINAL: GregH

I'm quite sure that the fence in question was not erected to control the deer herd. I'd hunt it if I were there.

Quick Reply: Define "High Fence"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.