Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Define "High Fence" >

Define "High Fence"

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Define "High Fence"

Old 08-21-2008, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Define "High Fence"

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

I used to hunt it almost exclusivly because I did not have access to other land and there are very nice deer here and a buck/doe ratio of very close to 1/1. However, part of my enjoyment of hunting comes from the peace and quiet that I get while in my stand and I don't get much of that with F/A-18s constantly doing touch and gos.
If you still have that problem PM me. I can show you a few thousand acres of public land that I hunt in Charles Co. and even during ML and Shotgun there are still places you just don't see other hunters if you are willing to hike a bit. It may be a bit far for you, driving wise, but should be worth it.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the offer, i'll keep that in mind. I'm fortunate enough that I stumbled on over 350 acres of private land that I get to hunt and there are a few pretty large tracts of public land close to us as well.

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

I used to hunt it almost exclusivly because I did not have access to other land and there are very nice deer here and a buck/doe ratio of very close to 1/1. However, part of my enjoyment of hunting comes from the peace and quiet that I get while in my stand and I don't get much of that with F/A-18s constantly doing touch and gos.
If you still have that problem PM me. I can show you a few thousand acres of public land that I hunt in Charles Co. and even during ML and Shotgun there are still places you just don't see other hunters if you are willing to hike a bit. It may be a bit far for you, driving wise, but should be worth it.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

What base are you talking about? Pax River NAS?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would rather hunt the 1700 acres of high fence, thanunfenced Deer over afeeder that goes off the same time every day in someones back yard where they can see the house and the deer have become domesticated,or use tonormal every day human activity.
But thats just me.
8' is a high fence.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

My personal belief is that as long as you're honest about how you took the deer and its legal, who gives a rip. i.e., one of my uncles always talks about how different it was for him hunting deer from a stand near a feeder in Texas than it is trapsing through the woods on deer drives in Northern Minnesota. People have problems with feeders and drives because perhaps neither is fair chase in some eyes but if you want to do it and its legal, go ahead and do it. I personally would hunt that land and not think twice about it might not be fair chase enough to some. Who cares?

Sure, it is much more of an accomplishment to take a huge buck in thousands of acres of wilderness, where he has every advantage and you were able to outsmart him on that one day than hunting on a fenced in military base where the deer may be used to people. But then again, I've been outsmarted by quite a few urban bucks that were "used to people" and easy to hunt supposedly. Anwyay, my point is, the quality of a hunt matters to the hunter, not those bystanders keeping score or quantifying who is the better hunter or had to endure the highest degree of difficulty to get their buck.

As Ricky Nelson once said, you can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself. Get your buck, tell the true story of how it happened, hang him on the wall and enjoy some beers with your buddies.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

We have people here that compare the King ranch to "Deer R us" in Ohio. Fifty thousand fenced acres to 50 fenced acres, not much of a comparison.
I have seen deer shot in Texas over timed feeders ,it compared in difficulty to the Ohio facility.Neither are hunting in my mind. Shooting,yes killing,yes but certainly not hunting.
Twothing to keep in mind when thinking about the fair chase aspect of hunting behind a fence. In your post hunt photos will photo shop be needed to removethe fence clearly visible behind your trophy,how about the ear tag?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

If there is a HIGH FENCE, around the area, that keeps game from leaving. Then it is a HIGH FENCE hunting situation.Pretty simple if you ask me.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Although there may exista fine line between determining what a "high fence" is.......and whatconstitutes "fair chase".....that perceived linefades (severely) on what each of us (indvidually) determine is "hunting".

If the "hunter" says he's "hunting".....he's "hunting". Period. If it's also legal......the line disappears (on what is considered "hunting"). It matters not what "we" think.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is it in fact "fishing" when one purchase "Halibut" at "Red Lobster"?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

No (extremely poor analogy).

But is it "fishing" when the kids around the pool are catching trout with a snoopy pole and a bobber?

Ask them.

Quick Reply: Define "High Fence"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.