Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

elevated shots

Old 08-21-2008, 05:43 AM
Spike

Default RE: elevated shots

I use a Savage pendulum sight, if you use one of these sights they work great out to 25-26 yards. If the deer is out to 30 yards you are going to shoot under the deer, they really drop that much with just 3-4 yards. I don't like to sight in high to shoot dead on a long distances, I have done that before, and then you hit high at close ranges and shoot over the deer, or hit them high in the back. Most of my shots are within 20 yards so I want it sighted in dead on out to 25 yards. I know a lot of guys will not agree, but it works great for me. I still use aluminum arrows and both my bows are older models, 1988 H-500 Oneida Eagle, and a Hoyt Grand Slam Eclipse. Just my opinion guys and gals, don't linch me now.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

Like this:

C being the distance from the stand the arrow must travel to a target
a= ground distance
b= height distance

c^2 = a^2 + b^2 ... formula to get the distance in a hypotenuse

SO.....

c^2 = 30^2 + 15^2
c^2= 900+ 225
1125= c^2
C=√1125

So your toal distance from 30 yards @ 15 ft high to target would be....
Your math is correct, but you used the wrong number. You're using yards and feet. You have to use either yards or feet. Change your 15ft to 5 yards, and it'll come out to 30.4 yards, or 3.6ft. Certainly nothing to compensate for. As others have stated, you arrow will not drop any faster from 15ft up, as it would 5ft off the ground. Gravity acts the same. As Rob said, aim for the exit hole, and don't worry about it.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Transcendstime

Like this:

a= ground distance
b= height distance

SO.....

c^2 = 30^2 + 15^2
c^2= 900+ 225
1125= c^2
C=√1125

33.54 yrds
What Valor said!!! Actually, your MATH is WRONG because you used the wrong units. You FAILED your final exam, please report to summer school!!!

TFox alluded to where the real problem comes in these equations, it's that 7yds from the base of your tree shot that is the tough one, or when your stand is on a ravine, and you are shooting 60ft down into a ravine and your rangefinder reads 36yds, but the horizontal distance may really only be 28, it's not the 25-30yd shot that's tough. For me at 14yds, my arrow hits it's hiigh point in it's ARC(when using my top 24yd pin) which is going to be about 2.5-3" above my aimed point, therefore, knowing how my bow shoots at those distances is keeps me on line for a kill by keeping my aimpoint just a tad low. But at the same time, I'm not convinced that shot will shoot exactly for 28yds either as the arrow will actually gain some velocity on a downward angle, which may shorten the distance you need to shoot the shot for, counter that with the ARC of an arrow, which may be slightly changed if that arrow picks up 8fps during it's travels, sometimes its all GUESSWORK anyhow. Shooting for what "feels" right.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Edit....nevermind....
Old 08-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: Transcendstime

Like this:

a= ground distance
b= height distance

SO.....

c^2 = 30^2 + 15^2
c^2= 900+ 225
1125= c^2
C=√1125

33.54 yrds
What Valor said!!! Actually, your MATH is WRONG because you used the wrong units. You FAILED your final exam, please report to summer school!!!

TFox alluded to where the real problem comes in these equations, it's that 7yds from the base of your tree shot that is the tough one, or when your stand is on a ravine, and you are shooting 60ft down into a ravine and your rangefinder reads 36yds, but the horizontal distance may really only be 28, it's not the 25-30yd shot that's tough. For me at 14yds, my arrow hits it's hiigh point in it's ARC(when using my top 24yd pin) which is going to be about 2.5-3" above my aimed point, therefore, knowing how my bow shoots at those distances is keeps me on line for a kill by keeping my aimpoint just a tad low. But at the same time, I'm not convinced that shot will shoot exactly for 28yds either as the arrow will actually gain some velocity on a downward angle, which may shorten the distance you need to shoot the shot for, counter that with the ARC of an arrow, which may be slightly changed if that arrow picks up 8fps during it's travels, sometimes its all GUESSWORK anyhow. Shooting for what "feels" right.
The arrow will not gain enough speed in a hunting distance that one could ever notice.The uphill shot is shot the exact same way so that eliminates that from the equation,atleast at close distances.

Now in field archery shooting 80 yard shots uphill or downhill,then there might be some validity to that argument.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:10 PM

People that say it doesn't matter don't sit high. I'veHEARD for every twenty feet you go up it changes the distance one foot. Is this right? Probably not, but I reallyhave noidea, but height does matter. 15 feet, probably not. 40 feetabsolutely. Like badger said it's trig, but only to a point. If you're10-15 feet in the air, you're too close to theground. You're still shooting on a parallel plane of the ground to make a difference with modern bows. You've sighted in on that plane. If you're forty feet in the air the distance is no longer the same as the base of the tree to the target. When you really start to get up is when the distances start to change, plus gravitycan take affect, as well as wind. Does anyone really sit highenough to make a difference? Probably not sodon't worry about the issue.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

The arrow will not gain enough speed in a hunting distance that one could ever notice.The uphill shot is shot the exact same way so that eliminates that from the equation,atleast at close distances.

Now in field archery shooting 80 yard shots uphill or downhill,then there might be some validity to that argument.
I've long since put away my Physics books, actually, sold them because as ALL COLLEGE students seemed to be, I needed money. But I thoughtthat an arrow DID gain a small amount of velocity, but you're probably right, it's not enough really that most of us would know the difference. I do know that for me, a longuphill shot shoots for more like 43-44yds rather than the 40 that my RF tells me it is. And I believe that IS due to loss of velocity.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

I honestly dont think elevation matters, i think those new rang finders are just a money maker.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:36 PM

what Badger isreferring to is the pythagorean theorem correct.

Asquared plus B squared is C squared (sorry, not proper format)

A= distance from tree to target on ground
b=height of your tree stand
c= distance from treestand to target on ground.

Say a=15 ft, b=15 ft

a squared=225
b squared=225
c squared=225+225
csquared is 250
c=21.21 feet.
Basic math, there is a difference! I justneverdid the math to find out how much!
Old 08-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I've long since put away my Physics books, actually, sold them because as ALL COLLEGE students seemed to be, I needed money. But I thoughtthat an arrow DID gain a small amount of velocity, but you're probably right, it's not enough really that most of us would know the difference. I do know that for me, a longuphill shot shoots for more like 43-44yds rather than the 40 that my RF tells me it is. And I believe that IS due to loss of velocity.
It is because it is the hypotenuse of the angle,just like a downhill shot.

Here is a chart of my bow.Notice the difference in uphill and downhill is almost nonexistent untill you get to greater distances.Uphill has a sight paralax issue as well.That is where most of the difference comes from.

Quick Reply: elevated shots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.