Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

elevated shots

Old 08-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default elevated shots

Question-is there a standard equasion for yardage added to a shot from an elevation?
For instance I usually have my climber 15-20 feet high,a 30 yard shot would then become?
Old 08-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: elevated shots

A 30 yd shot.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

If the 30 yds you speak of is the straight line distance from you (elevated) to a deer (on the ground) then gravity acts on your arrow for less than 30 yds. The 30 yds would be the hypotenuse of a right triangle. The distance that gravity acts on your arrow would be the base of the right triangle (shorter than hypotenuse). Some simple trig calculations can help you determine the length of your triangle's base at any height and at any distance to target.

The best way to do it, IMO, is to just use a rangefinder to measure distance to some nearby trees while you are still on the ground. Then you don't have to worry about all the trig. But, since everyone shoot flat out to 40 yds anyways, the minor affect the angle of a treestand has on your shot is likely negligible.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

Well put badge,I do use a rangefinder and have heard of these new "smart" rangefinders which is why I ask... long time no talky.I`m going golfing in a bit but hit me up in the morning if your around.
ORIGINAL: Badger_Girl93

If the 30 yds you speak of is the straight line distance from you (elevated) to a deer (on the ground) then gravity acts on your arrow for less than 30 yds. The 30 yds would be the hypotenuse of a right triangle. The distance that gravity acts on your arrow would be the base of the right triangle (shorter than hypotenuse). Some simple trig calculations can help you determine the length of your triangle's base at any height and at any distance to target.

The best way to do it, IMO, is to just use a rangefinder to measure distance to some nearby trees while you are still on the ground. Then you don't have to worry about all the trig. But, since everyone shoot flat out to 40 yds anyways, the minor affect the angle of a treestand has on your shot is likely negligible.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Badger_Girl93

Yep...what she just said.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

29.4 yrds if you are 18' up (6 yrds)...

I thought it would be less...
Old 08-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HuntingEd

29.4 yrds if you are 18' up (6 yrds)...

I thought it would be less...
Exactly...with our flat shooting modern bows, half a yard hardly makes a difference.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Site Buck Guru

There is no added distance because of the elevation. You do not shoot the hypotenuse distance, just the distance from the deer to the base of your tree.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-20-2008, 02:12 PM

For the most part its never gonna make much difference. Especially when most bowkills are inside of 25 yards.

Quick Reply: elevated shots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.