Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Part of the solution.....or part of the problem? >

Part of the solution.....or part of the problem?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Part of the solution.....or part of the problem?

Old 08-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Part of the solution.....or part of the problem?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So to ask a direct question, PT......

If you KNEW the herd where you hunt was heavily doe-laden......would you still fill (given the opportunity) your two buck tags......and forego the culling of does (assuming you had multiple doe tags)? I'm asking this.....because there ARE people who KNOW the herd dynamics in the specific area they are hunting doesn't "jive" with the amount/disparity of tags issued.

Those who subscribe to this way of thinking are (IMO) "part of the problem".
Part of who's problem? Suppose I subscribe to that way of thinking.I don't have a problem with what I am doing.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Let me rephrase.

If you will forego the herd dynamics to appease your hunting style.....then you are "part of the problem".

To put it a different way, PT.....if you knew the herd you hunted (SPECIFIC, local herd) had poor buck:doe ratio.....but your state didn't recognize that area, specifically, and allowed you two buck tags and two doe tags......and you filled them all......

Then I would say you were part of the problem.

If you will ONLY trophy hunt in areas that are heavily doe laden.....then you are part of the problem.

MY opinions, only. If you're hunting legally.....then you only have yourself to appease.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

the herd in my honey hole is dang near even....actually ive only seen a few does in there in 2 seasons now...actually same doe and 2 fawns i seen 2 or 3 times...

but i keep goin back because it seems to be a big buck hideout...food and great cover and enough woods to stret2ch their legs in the daytime and not be seen and no pressure except me...

in that area, im buck hunting only...most of the area around my home im buck hunting only...

we do ALOT of driving in rifle and flintlock season...we dont see every deer, but we see most of them...we know what we have and we know we have a prettttty good buck to do ratio...we also know that other guys will take does...so we dont...

years prior, i did my part and took does...and continue to get doe tags for areas i hunt so if/when i find a place that has alot of does, i can take one for the freezer and out of the herd...

if everything was pretty balanced and NOONE took does, i would take them myself...(i love venison and so does dad...we can put a hurtin on meat so thats never an issue...if it was i can always donate it..) and i dont have a problem with killing does when the numbers are stable and you are looking to keep that stability and ratio....
Old 08-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let me rephrase.

If you will forego the herd dynamics to appease your hunting style.....then you are "part of the problem".

To put it a different way, PT.....if you knew the herd you hunted (SPECIFIC, local herd) had poor buck:doe ratio.....but your state didn't recognize that area, specifically, and allowed you two buck tags and two doe tags......and you filled them all......

Then I would say you were part of the problem.

If you will ONLY trophy hunt in areas that are heavily doe laden.....then you are part of the problem.

MY opinions, only. If you're hunting legally.....then you only have yourself to appease.
Because "the problem" is all speculation,and tends to change every decade or so depending on what the "latest" studies show, I could give a rip about what the "scientists" say ..... I want to put 4 deer in my freezer ..... where you hunt, they would be all doe or a mature buck andthe rest doe .... where I hunt, it very well might be2 yearling bucks and2 nice fat doe ...... and that wouldn't be a "problem"

did THAT answer your question?Ifnot you might need to rephrase yet again ....I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer ...
Old 08-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Because "the problem" is all speculation,
If you have no problem discerning if you have a doe problem or not.....I'd say you don't.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Because "the problem" is all speculation,
If you have no problem discerning if you have a doe problem or not.....I'd say you don't.
Jeff ....as I said, your case is different ..... my goal is to have fun filling my freezer ....... I can't fathom all the deer you have over there ....

These guys are running ALL over where I hunt ... Isaw DOZENS of them last year ....

Old 08-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Then it appears you have a pretty good buck:doe ratio......

Good for you.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've stated this many times on this forum. I hunt for me only, if a trophy buck is the first thing by I'll shoot it. Same if a doe or young buck comes by. If that makes me part of the solution or part of the problem I could care less. Since I buy my own tags and pay my own way I hunt my way.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Dominant Buck

gutshot:

I know a few guys, here,......even in our heavily doe-laden areas.....who shoot nothing but bucks.

I don't begrudge them for hunting "their way"........not one bit. But they are (IMO) "part of the problem".

I've said it before....."I" was part of the problem, myself, two years ago.