HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Part of the solution.....or part of the problem?
Old 08-12-2008, 07:40 AM
kickin_buck
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Part of the solution.....or part of the problem?

It is near impossible for one man with a limited amount of land to manage the buck-doe ratio. Where I do most of my hunting in Illinois, I have way more does than bucks. Sure I take almost every doe that walks past me, but I know doing so is only a very small drop in a very large bucket. As far as bucks go, I let the younger bucks walk, doing so I can only hope they get a pass from the guys hunting on other properties near me. Again, this is an almost impossible task if you don't own, or at least have execlusive access to a ton of land. Then of course there is the problem of the time that is required to really manage the land. My best farm is a little over 300 acres, only me and my two sons hunt it. We take ever doe we can. I am pretty selective on the bucks I take, I let the boys take whatever buck they want to, mostly because they don't have that many kills yet under their belts. This is only the second year hunting for my youngest boy (12), and really only the second year hunting for my oldest boy (15), breaking an arm in football two years in a row has limited his time in stand with a bow.