Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What broadheads have you had problems with >

What broadheads have you had problems with

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What broadheads have you had problems with

Old 03-12-2003, 02:42 PM

Default RE: What broadheads have you had problems with

A whitetail buck at 12 yards, almost perfectly level. It was attached to a 29" Nitro Stinger Gold, out of a 68# Hoyt Striker Redline.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve seen a couple of concrete yard deer that would do less damage than that!! Must have been one hell of a brute. Or was it really yard art???
Old 03-13-2003, 09:42 AM

It was a pretty large-bodied Kansas buck. I hit the shoulder bone. Granted, I shouldn' t have hit the shoulder, but I still think it should have penetrated. My hunting partner had the same thing happen to a 3-blade Muzzy 100 the next season. Not saying that Muzzy is a bad head, but that one sure was.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

CABELAS LAZER PRO MAGS[>:]
Old 03-13-2003, 12:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rocket mini-blasters.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:59 PM

Yep! As MOCraig stated I also had a failure with a Muzzy. It was a 100 gr 3-blade on a 30" 2315. If I remember correctly it was a mid-sized 6 pt, I was about 15' up and was shooting at him broadside from about 12-15 yds. You could tell by looking at the ferrule that it didn' t penetrate past the back of the blades. Only one blade remained and the ferrule was broke and bent over at about a 40 degree angle. I too probably hit a sholder but like Craig said, I still would expect more penetration then that. The arrow weighed about 575gr and was at about 260 fps, so the KE wasn' t lacking. All in all, I still think the Muzzy' s are one of the better fixed blade heads and this may or may not have been my fault or a fluke all together.

Toby
Old 03-14-2003, 10:56 AM

It was your fault.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:57 PM
Spike

I tried Pucketts once. Shot like a dream - penetrated like a nightmare. Cost me a deer - couldn' t find any blood at all for about 125 yds, and then not enough to trail. Also used to shoot Rocky Mtn. 110 gr heads. Liked everything about them except that sometimes the head loosened just enough from rotation when hitting the target that a blade could come out. Never had a blade break, though. Then Gametracker came out with a head that looked just like the MR and had the locking collar on the back. Great, I thought. I now have the best of two worlds. HOWEVER, when shooting them in the target, mixing RM' s, whenever the two heads met up the Gametracker always had the broken blade. Helped a young hunter finish off a deer and hit it in the spine. All three blades were broken! Never hunted with a Gametracker head again. I am using Muzzy 100 3-blade and like them. The only thing is that the thread length on the ferrel is a little small and can get damaged if it hits something hard. I do not shoot a speed bow, so don' t have trouble with tuning - about 230 FPS with carbon arrows. When I taught bow hunter ed classes for the state and we came up to broadheads, I would ask how many were using mechanicals. The answer was always the same - " Used to" , and the reason was poor, or no, blood trail. I have been playing around with the SteelForce 100 gr. and they fly good, but hate to give up on the MZY' s as they have been so good for me.

I am an ol' deerluvr - whether in the woods or on the platter.