Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Problems with Broadheads >

Problems with Broadheads

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Problems with Broadheads

Old 08-09-2004, 06:59 PM

Default Problems with Broadheads

My grouping with field tips is good, very consistant. But when I shoot my broadheads they go right and down anywhere from 6 to 10" from 20 yds. Every now and than they fly perfect and hit where I am aiming. Is this a shaft problem, weight, form, I have no clue. It almost looks like the ass end of the arrow swings left right when I release. Maybe this is why the arrow goes hard right (no idea). I am shooting slick trick broadheads 100gr. and scorpion xp's, the scorpions dont go that far right compared to the slick tricks. My setup is Mathews Legacy 60# 27" draw, trophy taker drop away rest Beaman 400 arrows. Any help here would be great.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:00 PM

Default RE: Problems with Broadheads

and my arrows are cut to 28"
Old 08-09-2004, 07:14 PM

Try to paper tune with your field points and see what happens. It sounds like your out of center tune.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every now and than they fly perfect and hit where I am aiming.
This may not be all of your problem, but when shooting broadheads, any tiny mistake is magnified. I have done the same thing, my fieldpoints would hit perfect and generally my broadheads would hit the exact same place. If for some reason you do something to make your fieldpoint go an inch low and right, the same thing with a broadhead may make it go 6" low and right. Take a few shots being very careful, paying attention to your form. If that doesn't work try paper tuning, you can do a search for "paper tuning" and you will get more responses that you can handle. Or you can go to the easton archery tuning guide.

good luck
Old 08-10-2004, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try this link it should help some. http://www.broadheadtests.com/TUNING.html
Old 08-10-2004, 11:53 AM

Jbra-although I agree that you should look at your form and the bows tune, you should start first with checking your arrow straightness. If your arrows are not straight and the broadhead has any wobble when spun, they will not fly correctly.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:30 PM

I am just hoping that it is a form problem and nothing else. Thanks for all of the help, maybe I can cure this horrible disease.