Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Listen,  Watch, Learn >

Listen, Watch, Learn

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Listen, Watch, Learn

Old 07-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Listen, Watch, Learn

Assuming I already decided on a yardage and POA (and this is for 3D shooting)
My sequence begins by:
Setting my feet
Setting my bow hand
Deep breath in
Setting my bow arm position and angle as I draw level
Set my sight level AS I DRAW (That's what I am looking at)
Exhale a full breath as I draw
maintain upright posture
Draw to my anchor
Settle anchor
Lock aperture in peep center
Find correct pin or gap
Deep breath in
Relocate exact point of aim
Do NOT look back to pins
slowly exhale relaxed
Preload thumb trigger
transfer backtension to thumb trigger through pull and thumb flattening
maintain tight float until shot goes off
if I even THINK about air or lose focus, let down and start over.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Germ,

Is this like the "Stop, Look, Listen" safety check song? [8D]
Old 07-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: elkhuntinut

Since the weekend, I have been working on eliminating my trigger punchin'...I have noticed that my shoots have stopped stringing slightly right to left. Just taking my time, shooting at 20 yards working on the form in the backyard.

I used to shoot alot of 3D and sort of went away from shooting as I once used too. Getting back the right habits after so long is work. It was nice to have some great suggestions.

Again much appreciated
"Trigger PUNCHIN'????"

I don't think that is the correct term, ROB, what you were doing to that poor thing was more like a mugging of a little old lady lost and on the wrong side of town. Hell, I wasn't about to say anything, I was the low shooter in our group, but and you didn't pull them off that horribly that often, but that poor trigger had to be BLACK and BLUE, after that treatment all day!!!
Old 07-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Assuming I already decided on a yardage and POA (and this is for 3D shooting)
My sequence begins by:
Setting my feet
Setting my bow hand
Deep breath in
Setting my bow arm position and angle as I draw level
Set my sight level AS I DRAW (That's what I am looking at)
Exhale a full breath as I draw
maintain upright posture
Draw to my anchor
Settle anchor
Lock aperture in peep center
Find correct pin or gap
Deep breath in
Relocate exact point of aim
Do NOT look back to pins
slowly exhale relaxed
Preload thumb trigger
transfer backtension to thumb trigger through pull and thumb flattening
maintain tight float until shot goes off
if I even THINK about air or lose focus, let down and start over.
I'm not a target shooter. I consider myself a "hunting" shooter. I'm wondering if you run thru this check list when you are shooting at game? Or do you hope that instinct and training take over?
I know I will never be as good of a shot as most of you guys.I don't want anybody to think that I don't agree with anyones methods.

I'm just wondering if people aproach shooting differently If they are target shooting vs practicing for hunting.
I never recieved any training. My approachhas always been pull back put the pin on the target and shoot. I have thought about this a lot over the years and have wondered if having a set sequence would help. I have always went back to pull and shoot. It's kinda like golf, If you start thinking about all the things your supposed to do with your swing it kinda messes you up. Plus at the moment of truth when your hunting I think most of that stuff goes right out the window. What are your thoughts?
Old 07-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm just wondering if people aproach shooting differently If they are target shooting vs practicing for hunting.
Most certainly....and I (when I shot a lot of 3D) practice, accordingly. I'v enever seen too many deer that would stand still long enough for a pre-shot routine like the one Matt listed.......but I'm also quite sure his sequence is MUCH shorter when he's hunting (but no less 'practiced').

Two "kinda" different animals.....but one will surely help the other.

Plus at the moment of truth when your hunting I think most of that stuff goes right out the window.
Love the golf analogy....and I agree it SHOULD go right out the window. That's why we practice.....so that it becomes "natural"/"Instinctive" in that moment of truth.

Good post, MM....
Old 07-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not a target shooter. I consider myself a "hunting" shooter. I'm wondering if you run thru this check list when you are shooting at game? Or do you hope that instinct and training take over?
I know I will never be as good of a shot as most of you guys.I don't want anybody to think that I don't agree with anyones methods.
Like Jeff mentioned, my hunting pre shot routine actually IS a lot like my target routine only done in about 1/10th of the time and ends in a gentle "push" of that index trigger. All that pure backtension, surprise shot crap goes right out the window.
Proper form and everything is so engrained in my shooting that I can just do a "speed" version of setting up a shot. YOu can't stop doing what you do a couple thousand times in a row but you sure can speed it up a bit.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: tsoc

Not a disagreement Rob,just a question and an opinion from my experience.Most archery coaches will talk about having a shot sequence.Doing the same things in the same way every time.Some archers believe that it doesn't matter how you come to your aiming point,drawing directly to it,coming up from 6:00 to center or down from 12:00 to center.My personal experience has been that coming down from 12:00 to center locks my bow arm shoulder in a much more stable way,I am much steadier.
This is a technique I was talk by Bernie Pellerite several years ago at a three day instruction course.Your aiming process doesn't begin until you have centered on target.
I would be curious to hear what other folks here do.Draw directly to your aiming point coming up from the bottom or down from the top?
I agree with that IF, you come to a stop and like you said, begin your aiming process. All to often these type of shooters don't stop and aim, the trigger is punched when the pin cross the spot.

I'll get into my shot sequence when I have a little more time and I made note of that to the 3 guys shooting with me. I said if you notice, I do the exact same thing everything time I shoot, you may even catch me talking to myself.

Just a quick note, when I draw the bow is pointed toward the target and I'm already staring at my mark, I bring the bow to anchor and I'm automatically looking through my peep and the pin is on the target....rarely perfect but I bring it in either up, down, left/right and begin the aiming process.

I made a bet one day that I could hit a 20 yard deer with my eye shut, I wouldn't do it consistantly but I did it that day.
In the arse but I hit it..LOL I pointed the bow, closed my eyes, drew, anchored and released.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:20 PM
Dominant Buck

I made a bet one day that I could hit a 20 yard deer with my eye shut,
Hell I would have betyou wouldn't MISS one from 35 with your eyes OPEN. But we both know how THAT turned out!

(BTW....I found your arrow while I was mowing)
Old 07-31-2008, 02:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not above missing targets,.... or animals. Damn it if I'm not human.[8D]
Old 07-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I was talking about at a target (but DAMN I coulda got REAL nasty, huh?). And (to be fair) that target was shot from some WEIRD spots.....through things.....etc...likely at an eyeball on a 3D animal.

The other "misses".....I'd forgotten about....and wasn't referring to.[8D]

Quick Reply: Listen, Watch, Learn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.