Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New ground,, good starting point? >

New ground,, good starting point?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New ground,, good starting point?

Old 07-21-2008, 06:08 PM

Default New ground,, good starting point?

This year I have been able to get onto a new piece of hunting ground. Ive been there a few times looking it over, but dont really know where to start, the other guys who have hunted it have given me some good ideas, but I am getting ready to go back and really scout and possibly hand a stand or two, I have never hunted farm ground before and just am not positive as to where a good starting point would be to set up for this fall. It is about 750 acres or a little more, and has corn and soybeans on it, along with heavy timber in the low ground. I tried to show some things I can remember in the pics, such as food plots in green and ponds in blue, I know there are a few more of each, that I cant remember and havent seen, but this will show the jist of it. Where should I try to focus my scouting and how should I hunt this area in different stages of the season??There are about 25 stands already hung, andthe guys who have hunted this for years, have their own set areas, and I can pick two stand for my own, andcan also hunt about anywhere I want out of my own stands, as long as Im not within a150 yards or so of someoneelses stand,...If you can give me some advice on where to look, and how to set up, then I can check those areas when I go up in a couple weeks. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New ground,, good starting point?

do you have an areal photo you can post?
Old 07-21-2008, 06:11 PM

Tying to load picture....

Old 07-21-2008, 08:54 PM

Anyone??????
Old 07-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

whats the blue and green on the map? water and food plots?
Old 07-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

Here are a few places that i would start with. Most of them look like good funnels to me and a couple are crossing spots to get to water sources.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:16 PM

Whenever I hunt a new farm (exciting!!) I always try and give it a complete walk through and scouting which you're already in the process of doing. Get some ideas there of what areas have old or new rubs where the heavily used trails are, where are you kicking deer up from, what food sources are being hit, etc. This should give you some good starting points.

The two areas I usually start with in a new place is any obvious funnels that I can find both on the ground and from a map. This automaticallygives me a great chance to be where the deer are and you can also take a good inventory of numbers and even size of deer. The other place I like to start with is a field edge where I can see for as long a distance as possible. Any field edge can be good but the main purpose of this is to sit in a stand with binos and to give the area a good glassing both morning and evening. It lets you see where the deer are feeding where they are entering/exiting fields and the times they are there. I then adjust my stand sites based on my observations.

Good luck with your new find, I'm sure there are some hot spots the others havent found yet.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:18 PM

Thanks I was thinking of a couple of the spots you showed,, Ill check them out better,, Yes Rory, the green is food plots and the blue is water,, I know I forgot about a few of the plots and water holes,, but they show the jist of it.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

heres the spots i would look at

Old 07-22-2008, 08:22 AM

Thanks guys,, keep em coming..