HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New ground,, good starting point?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 09:16 PM
MNpurple

Default RE: New ground,, good starting point?

Whenever I hunt a new farm (exciting!!) I always try and give it a complete walk through and scouting which you're already in the process of doing. Get some ideas there of what areas have old or new rubs where the heavily used trails are, where are you kicking deer up from, what food sources are being hit, etc. This should give you some good starting points.

The two areas I usually start with in a new place is any obvious funnels that I can find both on the ground and from a map. This automaticallygives me a great chance to be where the deer are and you can also take a good inventory of numbers and even size of deer. The other place I like to start with is a field edge where I can see for as long a distance as possible. Any field edge can be good but the main purpose of this is to sit in a stand with binos and to give the area a good glassing both morning and evening. It lets you see where the deer are feeding where they are entering/exiting fields and the times they are there. I then adjust my stand sites based on my observations.

Good luck with your new find, I'm sure there are some hot spots the others havent found yet.