Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 critique me...... >

critique me......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

critique me......

Old 07-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default critique me......

I didn't see the "How's my Form" thread anywhere, so here is a picture. I know it is terrible picture, but all I had was my cell phone. I hope it is good enough. I posted a picture of myself a few months ago, so I was curious as to whether I had improved or not.....

***EDIT*** HOLY CRAP!!!!! HOW DID I DRAW MY BOW WITHOUT AN ARROW!!!!!! I JUST NOTICED IT....... MAN LAW VIOLATION THERE......SHOULDN"T HAVE EVER DONE THAT!!!!!!![&o][X(][>:][][:-]

Old 07-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: critique me......

Do you always shoot with your body at a 45 degree angle to the target? You don't look all that comfortable... shoulder and arms seem like they are at odd angles.

I can't tell from this angle very well... it could be the poor lighting or the cell phone quality shot... but it looks like your right elbow is stuck out and not in a direct line with your arrow... if your elbow and forearms were hollow and I stood behind you... I should be able to see down your elbow and to the target like I was looking down a rifle barrel.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll try to get a picture from behind tomorrow and see what you think of that.

Yeah, I think I stood like I always do. I am completely relaxed when shooting.......
Old 07-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pheasantfanatic
I am completely relaxed when shooting.......

That is important. The question is... can you ensure with any degree of relative certainty that you are close to the same angle every time in relation to the target?

Its easy to stand at 90 degrees.. just point your shoulder at what you want to shoot. And when you are in a treestand, with your feet planted on what amounts to little more than a New York style pizza box, can you keep your feet that close together and still keep at 45 degrees and maintain proper form and bend at the waste?

Next time you shoot... stand at 20 yards and shoot with your body at 45 degrees to the target... then at 90 degrees... you'd be suprised at how many INCHES of difference there quite often is.... assuming you are shooting with both eyes open like you should be of course.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

pheasantfanatic your PM box is full. If you want that harness I need your address.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

oh, ok, sorry. PM sent.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Real quick, given the so-so picture I can see thatthe elbow on your drawing arm is way below the hand and the wrist is bent causing what is an arc in that arm. You're stretched out too far. This is often caused by one or several things. Draw length of the bow too long, which doesn't appear to be the case here. Loop too long on the string and/or the release not being short enough. These are the two I would suggest addressing. You need to get that elbow up so your arm forms a fairly straight line with the arrow. This will ensure that you are pulling straight through the shot and not back and down.

With a picture from behind and above the drawing arm should be in a straight line with the arrow, too.

The only other thing I see is that maybe you have too much hand in the bow. The palm of your hand should not touch the grip area. Way to cure this is to rotate the whole forearm out so the hand is approximately at a 45 degree angle to the grip. Your grip looks loose nd this is good. No wrist strap? You don't grab the bow do you?

There's probably more, like your stance and such, but it can't be seen well with this pic.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

The bow matches the hat, but not that yellow shirt
Old 07-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

No arrow, never do that