Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 yet another critique my form >

yet another critique my form

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

yet another critique my form

Old 12-26-2007, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default yet another critique my form

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x64/bdbwtie1/form003.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x64/bdbwtie1/form005.jpg
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x64/bdbwtie1/form006.jpg
Old 12-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: yet another critique my form

You ready!?[:-]

Your posture is terrible.......your heeling the grip (you can tell becasue your fingers are in a straight up and down line) also relax your fingers they look like a dead spider. LOL

You give the impression by your posture that your draw length is too long but IMO it's probably not. You need to stand upright and push things out in front of you more.You look like you are making too much of an effort to keep a bend in your bow arm and it is crowding your posture and shoving your anchor too far back.
Get your bow arm out a bit more, stand up straight, change your grip and tension,and move your anchor forward (which will also straighten out your forearm/wristline)

Old 12-26-2007, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good picture of a proper bow grip.......(or lack thereof)

Old 12-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Agree with whats been posted above , you are slightly long , and leaning way back . The apex of your string should be below the middle of your eye , a line drawn down from there should go down your spine and hit between your feet .
Old 12-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Matt,saved me some typing.
I agree with EVERYTHING you said,even about the draw probably not being too long even though the he gives that appearance.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

When you stand up straight,the feet should be under the shoulders and the hips should be centered.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:21 PM
bigcountry

Am I the only one who holds a bow with a high grip and index finger touching my thumb with the bow only touching inside my thumb?. Not trying to hijack the thread, but most people post a picture like matt posted. I know that has always been a popular effective grip.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Am I the only one who holds a bow with a high grip and index finger touching my thumb with the bow only touching inside my thumb?. Not trying to hijack the thread, but most people post a picture like matt posted. I know that has always been a popular effective grip.
Maybe not the only one but definately one of a dieing breed.

It really is a personall thing and in the world of compounds,the low wrist has become the "standard".No real right or wrong imo butI do feel the low wrist is a little better but I can't say what is better for you.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:15 PM
bigcountry

TFOX, years ago, with bows with fat grips, it seemed rather common. But I have yet to see anyone hold like I do in years. I did try to change over this year with my new commander, but didn't work out.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mark, as you pointed out... I think that grip was popularized by people attempting to keep from torquing the bow with fat grips.

Most top pros teach and exhibit the grip shown in the pic Matt posted because it takes the hand muscles out of the equation. Any time you physically have to exert pressure (even if its the act of raising your wrist to achieve that high grip you referenced), you introduce the possibility -- and probability -- of fatigue and non-repeatability. By placing the bow only on the thumb pad itself and allowing the bow's grip to determine the angle of the hand, you're able to keep the bones of the wrist in direct alignment with the pressure point where your hand contacts the grip of the bow.

Quick Reply: yet another critique my form

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.