Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 got my bow set up.  critique my form please >

got my bow set up. critique my form please

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

got my bow set up. critique my form please

Old 04-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default got my bow set up. critique my form please

here she is set at 61 lbs, 30" draw. Getting ready for turkey season, so is there anything you'd change?

Old 04-16-2009, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: got my bow set up. critique my form please

Heads up, draw length looks reasonable, shoulder not too high and elbow unlocked, grip looks good, yadd yadda.

Looks pretty good to me- I'm not one of those form-Nazis like some are. More importantly how does it FEEL to you?

I believe comfort comes first as comfort is easily repeatable (of course assuming we are not talking some kind of ridiculous form error like a draw length that is 3" too long, etc).

How's the tension on that Trophy Taker cord?- the XTR cams are SUPER sensitive to cam synch.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:08 AM
bigcountry

Too long draw length IMO. But I like to have anchor point with my thumb under my jaw. Guess its a leftover thing from finger shooting.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only thing I would try is to take the bend out of the elbow.The bend in your elbow is going out to the side instead of down and this will cause very inconsistant left and right problems.

If you want a little bend,imo,it shouldn't be out away from the body,it should go more toward the ground.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

whats the best way to remove the bend?
Old 04-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks to me like you are rotating your arm out at the elbow when all you need to rotate is the wrist and forearm out.(pictures CAN be decieving)

Hold your arm out with the wrist and forearm perpendicular to the ground.Then rotate just the wrist and forearm and notice the elbow position.It should not move.

From here,most coaches prefer to teach a straight but relaxed elbow but if you prefer bend,you should just relax the elbow a little further without rotating it out.

I suggest working on it AFTER killing that turkey
Old 04-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say that it looks pretty decent really. One question though. Are you intentionally squeezing/placing your thumb and index finger like that? If so id say you should let go of the bow more. If that is how your fingers fall when your grip isrelaxed, then it is what it is. Having/allowing a loose grip will allow cleaner shots imo. Ive been struggling with letting the bow go lately and noticed random flyers and im sure thats what it is. I had it all pretty good a month back, but now ive started working on a better release, and all that went to crap

Derek
Old 04-17-2009, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

i just tried working on it for about a half hour, and now i remember why i have the bend and the high anchor.. Its the only way I can get the string to touch my nose without increasing the draw. how necessary is it to have the string touching your nose, as long as you have a solid anchor point elsewhere?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

imho it is pretty necesarry to have the string touching your nose at least "somewhere" for most people. Typicall it is the tip, but i have seen good shooters/pros who anchor differently. Here is Brandon Reyes (Mathews/Tru-Ball). He has an odd anchor imo, but it works for him obviously. The thing is, most of us arent nearly as consistant as these guys, so it is alot easier to keep it simple, and use the tip of the nose/corner of the mouth style, whichmost do.

If you lengthen your DL by 1/2", straighten your arm out more, you should be able to keep your anchor pretty close to the same as you are comfortable with.
I shoot with a pretty straight arm, and a hair longer DL and i seem to be able to hold better, and my releases seem cleaner b/c of the joint alignment. My stance in this pic is a little tooopen, but you get the idea.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can have bend,it is just a bad idea imo to have the elbow bent OUT,it needs to be more downward if you are going to have it bent.

I have shot with Brandon before he went Pro.He also has/had a very open stance.He wasn't shooting a Mathews then either.

Quick Reply: got my bow set up. critique my form please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.