Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lighter

Old 06-25-2008, 10:04 PM

Default Lighter

anybody use lighter broadheads such as 75 or 85 gr? Obviously you can pick up a couple fps, but how well do they perform on deer?....I know, shot placment, but gimme some pros and cons
Old 06-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lighter

asked this same question few months back....quite a few guys had used lighter broadheads with find results....

conclusion I came to, was 75gr are going to be smaller than 100 gr, smaller hole, less blood.....trail etc..

also any fixed blade I feel is going to catch wind, so 100gr vs 75gr, sure you'll gain 25grains worth of speed....so unless youre going all out for speed, I'd stick to 100gr....heads...with the bigger cutting diameter....

also the rage 2blade with 2" pretty universally agreed that shorter blood trails.....faster kills,

i was considering a very light setup for long range shots....on antelope....but then I figured an expandable would work for this and have a lower profile in the air, so that would be a better combo than a lighter fixed blade....I'm unaware of less than 100gr expandables....so then if comparing sub 100gr fixed blades....would you want to use a super light setup on elk? moose? not really.

speed does level out your shot...and leaves more error in distance judgement, but I feel accuracy is the way to go, i have 3 sets of arrows, light, med, heavy, got the heavies for my elk last fall, and they just seem to shoot well.

Also I feel like if i want more speed I'd just work to juice up my bow to 70lbs.....I also think the heavier arrows buck the wind better.

So my hunting arrows are either my medium weight setup or heavy....haven't made the decision for this fall yet.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Gain in speed is minimal at best. I prefer hunting arrows to have a FOC of at least 12% actually preferring 15% or more.

Last year I went to a 125 grain head to help accomplish that with one set of arrows, and Brass inserts on another set of arrows.

This year I'll be using FOC shafts and more than likely 100 grain broadheads.

Dan
Old 06-26-2008, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

As mnetioned, the sacrifice of your F.O.C balance isn't worth it. This problem is even compounded by the fact that most shooters these days areadding additional weight to the rear of the shaft by adding crests/wraps and heavy lighted nocks. Be careful or your hunting accuracy will suffer.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed
This problem is even compounded by the fact that most shooters these days are adding additional weight to the rear of the shaft by adding crests/wraps and heavy lighted nocks. Be careful or your hunting accuracy will suffer.
That's exactly why I'm going away from wraps this year and will not use a lighted nock.

Even though they are Kewl!

Dan
Old 06-26-2008, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

The Gain in speed is minimal at best. I prefer hunting arrows to have a FOC of at least 12% actually preferring 15% or more.

Last year I went to a 125 grain head to help accomplish that with one set of arrows, and Brass inserts on another set of arrows.

This year I'll be using FOC shafts and more than likely 100 grain broadheads.

Dan
x2

There are plenty of ways to pick up some speed in archery, but taking weight out of the front of your arrow is really not a good move. I did the same thing this year that Dan did last year. I just switched back to Blazers (feathers are just too dang expensive now... with the price of fuel and everything else.... something had to go).... and in order to get that FOC back up above 11% (which isn't really terrible) I went with a 125 gr head. Adding the blazers and going up 25 grains lifted my finished arrow weight to 447grains. It might seem heavy, but it flies like a dart and I can see it all the way to the target.... I'd forgotten how nice a quiet a heavier arrow and plastic fletchings are.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used 85 grain montecs, and they fell apart on impact. All the blades just fell right off. It didn't even hurt the deer.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

I use 85 grain NAP Thunderheads. Been using them since I went to carbon arrows 3 years ago.
In that time period, I killed 1 -7 point buck, 3 -8 point bucks, and 6 doe. I have not had any problems at all
with penetration or blood trail. Most of these kills were double lung pass throughs.
DW