HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lighter
Thread: Lighter
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 10:46 PM
salukipv1
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lighter

asked this same question few months back....quite a few guys had used lighter broadheads with find results....

conclusion I came to, was 75gr are going to be smaller than 100 gr, smaller hole, less blood.....trail etc..

also any fixed blade I feel is going to catch wind, so 100gr vs 75gr, sure you'll gain 25grains worth of speed....so unless youre going all out for speed, I'd stick to 100gr....heads...with the bigger cutting diameter....

also the rage 2blade with 2" pretty universally agreed that shorter blood trails.....faster kills,

i was considering a very light setup for long range shots....on antelope....but then I figured an expandable would work for this and have a lower profile in the air, so that would be a better combo than a lighter fixed blade....I'm unaware of less than 100gr expandables....so then if comparing sub 100gr fixed blades....would you want to use a super light setup on elk? moose? not really.

speed does level out your shot...and leaves more error in distance judgement, but I feel accuracy is the way to go, i have 3 sets of arrows, light, med, heavy, got the heavies for my elk last fall, and they just seem to shoot well.

Also I feel like if i want more speed I'd just work to juice up my bow to 70lbs.....I also think the heavier arrows buck the wind better.

So my hunting arrows are either my medium weight setup or heavy....haven't made the decision for this fall yet.