Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why is lighter...."better"? >

Why is lighter...."better"?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why is lighter...."better"?

Old 08-07-2008, 04:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Why is lighter...."better"?

Or...is it? We're talking bows, here.

I don't hunt the west.....nor do I walk miles to stand (all walks are under 1mi.). The weight of my bow shouldn't really matter, then, right? Why does it matter so much to so many?

I don't know the answer....but it's a helluva marketing scheme.

When we shoot 3D....we're trying to make our bows as accurate as we can. In doing so....we KNOWINGLY and READILY add weight to them. It has to be a fact that a heavier bow is more accurate. I can hold a baseball bat steadier than I can a golf shaft with no head attached.

So what's the draw to these lighter bows?

I hope to learn something, here.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why is lighter...."better"?

I like a heavier bow because I believe there will be less hand shock and less noise. But thats not what you were asking is it?
Old 08-07-2008, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I don't know the answer....but it's a helluva marketing scheme.

You said it
Old 08-07-2008, 05:17 AM

If you hunt out west a lot, you'll find yourself tracking very long distances. As time goes on, carying that bow just makes it feel heavier and heavier. I would say this is primarily why someone would want a lighter bow. Heavier bows may help with accuracy to a point, but most of the modern bows (light or not) are very accurate anyway. So I think it basically boils down with starting out with a lighter bow in the first place, because by the end ofa long out west hunt that bow is going to feel 2-3 times heavier.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer weight being an OPTION. I don't want a bow rig that weighs 10lbs... but IF I did,.... I'd prefer to add the weight myself, in the form of stabilizers and such.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

I prefer a heavy bow. I don't like stabilizers though. I don't know why I don't like them they just make the bow feel funny to me I have tried several and none of them did I like.

I have shoot a light bow before and shot it very well. I have a Bowtech Independence now and it is pretty heavy and I love the bow. It may be long it may be slow compared to the bows now a days (I have already done the speed thing) but dang it draws easy and is plenty maneuverable in the stand even though I haven't had it out in the woods yet but have had it in a stand in the yard.

It is flat where I hunt so hills are no problem and all my stand are under 3/4 mile. So a light bow just is not needed.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

For us easterners, I don't see a big deal, 99% of the time we're hunting, the bow is sitting on a hook in the tree! Out west, where you hike around a lot more, it may be an issue. However it's not something you can't get use to! My bow is not light, not heavy either, but it didn't bother me when I had it out elk hunting, hiking with it for hours at a time. They don't carry all the easy though, sure you can just grab the handle and go, but that gets old quick. Next time I go I will bring a bow sling.

One thing I didn't like when I had a light bow, was that I shoot without the bow quiver on all year, then put it on for hunting. I noticed a HUGE difference in how the bow balanced and couldn't get use to it, I hunted with a hip quiver that year. Now when I put the bow quiver on, its a bit ofa difference, but nothing I can't get use to in a few shots.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:46 AM
Typical Buck

I've had relatively heavy bows in the past but now I've got a really light bow. Admittedly the light weight took some getting used to. ShorterA-A usually goes hand in hand with light weight and that causes more problems than the weight itself for some hunters.

I practice alot so I've gotten used to my bow and I ampretty accurate with it. Ilike being able to maneuver it around easy and also holding it at full draw for an extended period of time isn't an issue like it might be with a heavier bow. Sure, I hear the "kid's bow" jokes, but that's ribbing I can take. Plus,I like to a long stab with weight out frontandyou can add it to a lightbow without making it unbearable.

Here's what it boils down to for me: If the bow can do everything I want it to do I'd rather carry a lighter bow. That's just me.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a High Country for years and when they came out with their all carbon bows, I was one of the first to jump on in and get one. I shot two different all carbon High Country bows, both weighing in under 3lbs fully equiped. They were terrible on the 3D course, if there was any wind at all you were screwed. I signed my deal with Hoyt and was worried about the "all" the weight a Hoyt brought to the table. I have been shooting the Hoyt now for about 8 months and can honestly say that a heavier bow is much more accurate than a light bow. I think that marketing scheme is going away as I have heard that HCA is now not producing their all carbon bows any more and going back to a heavier bow. I think light bows were an improvement idea that came and is now going away quickly.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like a light bow. It's one of the biggest reasons I sold my Apex series Mathews bows and now have the Constitution. For me, a good neutral balance of the bow (left/right - front/back) is VERY important to me. Also it is important to fine tune my holding pattern by having a perfect mix of the bows mass weight as compared to holding weight at full draw. A light bow allows me to fine tune these things the way I want them, rather than dealing with the weight that came on the bow from the factory. This is VERY important in my opinion.

Add in to this fact that weight is usually best when added furthest away from the bows center, and now it makes a lot of sense. Now you can add the weight at the ends of the stabilizers rather than have it on the actual bow.

Quick Reply: Why is lighter...."better"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.