Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 speed kills????????? >

speed kills?????????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

speed kills?????????

Old 06-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: speed kills?????????

I don't think speed matters as much as a number of other things, but if someone wants more speed then who am I to stand in their way? It isnot like I am shooting their bowor anything.
rybohunter; I don't think that speed matters in the case you mentioned. I just think the guy should have figured out the range correctly. Just my take on it though. To each their own.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Does speed matter in this case?
Guy with slow bow estimates deer at 22 yds, Deer is really 27 yds and he misses low.
Same guy with fast bow estimates deer at 22 yds, deer is really 27 yds but he hits it in the heart and kills it.

My point was that I believe we all need to work on our shooting skills - which includes distance judging - good example!

You know what Magic? I think anyone with half a brain should have gotten the gist of what you were saying. I think some just like to tweek things.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think speed can be an asset in certain situations, but it can also be a hinderence because most very fast bows are more difficult to shoot well. Speed lures in many new archers into buying bows their neophyte hands are not ready for yet....so it that case I'd say that speed kills a new bow hunters opportunities rather frequently.

I don't think having more speed hurts, but its really about balance. You have to shoot a bow at a poundage that you can shoot well, with an arrow heavy enough to get the job done. Personally I like my hunting bow to be under the 280fps mark, even though I shoot a bow that is capable of speeds in excess of 320 fps. I shoot a very heavy arrow.... the trade is that the bow is very quiet and I can see my arrow in flight and know exactly where it strikes the animal, which is very important information to have before you take up a blood trail.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only 100 days until Bow season here in Illinois[:-]
Old 06-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

i think speed has to do with the erge to alwas have the best of the best. when Accuracy and stealth has more to do withhunting than how fast the arrow will get to the target
Old 06-22-2008, 07:15 PM

I'm at 297 myself, but thats not what I was wanting with a new bow as much as the 82 lbs. of kinetic energy I get at the business end of the deal.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 06-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guy with slow bow estimates deer at 22 yds, Deer is really 27 yds and he misses low.
Same guy with fast bow estimates deer at 22 yds, deer is really 27 yds but he hits it in the heart and kills it.

Great example rybo.

For the past two years I've been hunting with 500 grain arrows moving at 260 fps. Most of the deer I kill are 20 yards or less, due to the thick cover so speed doesn't matter.

However, I do have some stands that overlook food plots where longer shots (25 -30 yards) are possible. For these stands, I use my 360 grain arrows that fly 295 fps.

I get about 2 inches less drop at 30 yards with the lighter arrows, and that could be the difference between a heart shot and a grazed belly.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

So deerhunter,

Let's say Jim sneaks up on his bowling pins and throws a perfectly aligned shot. However the ball only rolls atone foot per second. According to you, and since the pins are stationary, he scores a strike, right? Please say yes.

Now. let's allow the pins the ability to move out of the way. Under the same conditions as stated above, will he still throw a strike? Please say I don't know...maybe.

So I ask you then, how can you honestly say speed doesn't matter as much?

In my opinion, speed, stealth, accuracy and a number of other factors are equally important and very much linked to one another. What good is speed if you do not have accuracy? What good is accuracy if you do not have speed? What good is stealth if you have neither speed or accuracy? If you change one, then you must compensate somewhere else. If you slow the bow down, for example, then you may be forced to get closer and thus your hunt may requires more stealth (depending on the animal being hunted). It's that simple really.

It's funny, archery hunting is a game of consistency. But really, there's nothing consistant about it other than it consistantly changes.There are just too many variables.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

My point was that I believe we all need to work on our shooting skills - which includes distance judging - good example!

You know what Magic? I think anyone with half a brain should have gotten the gist of what you were saying. I think some just like to tweek things.

I think thosewho keep bringing up over debated topicsand fail to realize there are always 2 legitimate sides, should expect thier posts to be "tweaked"

FWIW, My hunting style and general hunting opinion lends itself to speed being a minimal factor in my hunting setups.

Quick Reply: speed kills?????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.