Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 speed kills????????? >

speed kills?????????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

speed kills?????????

Old 06-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: speed kills?????????

Raceway,

Do what if right for you...seriously. Don't worry too much what others say.

Two days ago I left the Eastern Cape of South Africa. I was there hunting exclusively with a bow. I was told by everyone I'd be lucky if I shot one animal with a bow. The terrian was steep, rocky, vast, open, and water was extremely abundant (sitting at waterhole was not an option). Despite the naysayers, I came home with eight new species of wildlife under my belt. The slow bows cased their equipment and pulled out rifles (they spent too much money to come home empty handed). I, therefore, know exactly what you're talking about. Hunt for you and find that equipment that works best for you! When you have all the confidence in the world, you'll thumb your nose at those who ridicule you. Best of luck to you my friend.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: racewayking

ORIGINAL: early in

I agree with Magic. Shot placement or even being able to get into position for the shot is more important, I believe. Speed is important to a certain degree, but my Vectrix at 63#only shoots my 501gr (heavy)arrow at 250fps (slow by todays standards), but I get 69 1/2 ft/lbs of KE. That's what does my killing. I shot at 3 deer, a 7pt, and 2 doe last year killing all 3 with pass throughs. One of them, a big doe was 30yrds out!I would have to see a deer jump my string at 20yrds or closer to believe it!
A deer that can do that was already on edge, caught odor and or movement.
Order "The Grind" from WKP. Todd puts the shot on the heart and the slow motion shows the buck drop a good 6-8 inches and take a high lung shot. I will be putting arount 89# of KE with my new rig with a 410-440gr. arrow but should be hitting 300-310fps according to MECHDOC's calculations. I'll take the faster shooting arrow anyday and some KE to boot.
How close was the deer, and was it on alert in any way?I won't go back and forth with this, and I won't say it never happens either. It has never happened to me though. And yes, raceway, that's an awesome combo you've got going for you. Like I asked before, what do you have like 5 man cards shooting that rig?
Old 06-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: racewayking

I agree with Magic. Shot placement or even being able to get into position for the shot is more important, I believe. Speed is important to a certain degree, but my Vectrix at 63#only shoots my 501gr (heavy)arrow at 250fps (slow by todays standards), but I get 69 1/2 ft/lbs of KE. That's what does my killing. I shot at 3 deer, a 7pt, and 2 doe last year killing all 3 with pass throughs. One of them, a big doe was 30yrds out!I would have to see a deer jump my string at 20yrds or closer to believe it!
A deer that can do that was already on edge, caught odor and or movement.
Order "The Grind" from WKP. Todd puts the shot on the heart and the slow motion shows the buck drop a good 6-8 inches and take a high lung shot. I will be putting arount 89# of KE with my new rig with a 410-440gr. arrow but should be hitting 300-310fps according to MECHDOC's calculations. I'll take the faster shooting arrow anyday and some KE to boot.
How close was the deer, and was it on alert in any way?I won't go back and forth with this, and I won't say it never happens either. It has never happened to me though. And yes, raceway, that's an awesome combo you've got going for you. Like I asked before, what do you have like 5 man cards shooting that rig?
It looked like a 20 yard shot. The deer broadside and looking the opposite way, it surprised the heck out of me. Todd was also shooting what looked like a Bowtech Ally so he wasn't exactly shooting a slow setup from what I could see. Order the video and check it out, you won't be dissapointed!
Old 06-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Raceway,

Do what if right for you...seriously. Don't worry too much what others say.

Two days ago I left the Eastern Cape of South Africa. I was there hunting exclusively with a bow. I was told by everyone I'd be lucky if I shot one animal with a bow. The terrian was steep, rocky, vast, open, and water was extremely abundant (sitting at waterhole was not an option). Despite the naysayers, I came home with eight new species of wildlife under my belt. The slow bows cased their equipment and pulled out rifles (they spent too much money to come home empty handed). I, therefore, know exactly what you're talking about. Hunt for you and find that equipment that works best for you! When you have all the confidence in the world, you'll thumb your nose at those who ridicule you. Best of luck to you my friend.
Sounds like you had a great time on the trip, congrats on the hunts!
Old 06-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

With almost all my bowhunting over the years having been done with a recurve or longbow, I bet you can guess my answer. You get three tries and the first two don't count.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Raceway,

When you're ready to put that rig to the test above timberline and on something, let's say, the size of an elk, look me up. You'll be happy you selected speed and poundage.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure thing, a 350" 6x6 or bigger is on my wish list. I'd also like to get an 80" or bigger Antelope and hit that 200" Mule Deer mark. Dang, now I realized how much I have left to accomplish I'd love to have some more Elk in the freezer, you got me thinking now.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:16 PM

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

But my question was How many times has that speed made the difference? And how many times has your skill made the difference?
I am not sure those are fair questions. I mean really, who honestly knows? With so many varibles involved, is there a definite answer-with 100% certainty?

A good archery combines both skill and technology to his advantage. I doubt you'll ever see an astronaut flying a school bus to the moon. And chances are, you'll never see a WWII fighter aircraft going head to head with a modern day jet. Both skilled pilots are obviously going to use their equipment to its fullest potential, but honestly, who do you think is going to win the dogfight?
tech. isnt a neccesity, trad. bowhunters dont use technology, and they stillkillanimals. But i do see what your saying by having both skill and tech. that it gives you a advantage, but it isnt a neccesity.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Does speed matter in this case?
Guy with slow bow estimates deer at 22 yds, Deer is really 27 yds and he misses low.
Same guy with fast bow estimates deer at 22 yds, deer is really 27 yds but he hits it in the heart and kills it.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Does speed matter in this case?
Guy with slow bow estimates deer at 22 yds, Deer is really 27 yds and he misses low.
Same guy with fast bow estimates deer at 22 yds, deer is really 27 yds but he hits it in the heart and kills it.

My point was that I believe we all need to work on our shooting skills - which includes distance judging - good example!

Quick Reply: speed kills?????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.