Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 speed kills????????? >

speed kills?????????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

speed kills?????????

Old 06-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default speed kills?????????

I got thinking more about the "I'm tired" thread.
I can't recall one single time the having a faster bow would have made the difference on a shot at a deer.
I can remember many times that being a better " hunting situation shooter" would have made the difference.

How about the rest of you?

I would like to add that if I were to turn my bow down 10# I don't think that I would Kill any less eithor. I currently hunt at 60#

Your thoughts?
Old 06-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: speed kills?????????

I agree that more speed wouldn't havemade a difference in any hunting situation that I have been in. Myhunting rigshoots about 260 fps (27 inch draw) which by today's standards is probably on the slower side. But it gets the job done. The most important things to me are how smooth the bowdraws, accuracy, and quietness. I have shot some of the newer "speed bows" and didn't like how they felt drawing back. Just my oppinion.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

After tearing the tendons in my wrist last fall I turned my old Hoyt down to 53# and shot completely thru a bucks near shoulder and into the ground on the other side. And I did all that without a 2 blade rage or a butt out tool.[:-]
Old 06-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the most part, you are probably right. But for the most part, I do not exclusively hunt deer. I'll take speed and poundage any day of the week. I have had too many animals out run slow bows. When the animal is small and on the ball in open terrian, say a steenbok for example, speed can sperate the "haves" from the "have nots".

Would you use a VW in a drag race? There's always the right tool for the job, eh?
Old 06-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah - I have my bow shooting @ 238 FPS @ 69 pounds without a problem.
I'll probably turn it down to 62 lbs. this year, as I had an experience will sitting in 22 degree weather for 5 1/2 hours...
I tried pulling my bow back as a test to warm up, and couldn't do it, I was frozen solid like bear crap in the tundra!
Shot selection is key bottom line.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

The steenbok's around here are way to fast for bow hunters, some say the Shadow is all a good rifle man can expect a shot at.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

After tearing the tendons in my wrist last fall I turned my old Hoyt down to 53# and shot completely thru a bucks near shoulder and into the ground on the other side. And I did all that without a 2 blade rage or a butt out tool.[:-]
And that's exactly why I love you!
Old 06-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

For the most part, you are probably right. But for the most part, I do not exclusively hunt deer. I'll take speed and poundage any day of the week. I have had too many animals out run slow bows. When the animal is small and on the ball in open terrian, say a steenbok for example, speed can sperate the "haves" from the "have nots".

Would you use a VW in a drag race? There's always the right tool for the job, eh?
Apparently You have never seen me drive
Old 06-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

This year I am using an 80# Hoyt Katera to hunt with. I have had people ridicule me, claim speed doesn't kill animals because of KE, blah, blah, blah.

Here is my point, I want to shoot a 410-450 grain arrow and not have a lot of drop from 20-40 yards. Speed and the correct arrow setup will take the arch out of my shot and I will still have enough KE to take down a Rhino or Giraffe. Oh, and for the record I can pull back this setup without my pancreas hurting or whatever other jacked up claim I'll hear next.

I for one have shot my 440 gr. arrows at 258 fps for too long. I have had a couple of deer jump the string at 20 yards or less and had to track them longer than I'd like since I only clipped one lung or hit the liver when the turned on me. Does speed kill? Yes, if your arrow gets there faster you stand a greater chance of reducing the animal reacting to the sound of the bow. A 300 grain arrow can go through a deer as can a 500 grain arrow, I want a setup that will blow through the shoulder but still be whizzing over 300fps.

VIVA LE SPEED!!
Old 06-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow Jim, I didn't know you were such an expert on Steenbok! I would love to view your trophy room someday!

Quick Reply: speed kills?????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.