Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 speed kills????????? >

speed kills?????????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

speed kills?????????

Old 06-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: speed kills?????????

You'd love my bowling trophy's.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Wow Jim, I didn't know you were such an expert on Steenbok! I would love to view your trophy room someday!
To hell with his, I want to see yours!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol....You are alright

Did you get them with a fast or slow ball?

Old 06-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: racewayking

This year I am using an 80# Hoyt Katera to hunt with. I have had people ridicule me, claim speed doesn't kill animals because of KE, blah, blah, blah.

Here is my point, I want to shoot a 410-450 grain arrow and not have a lot of drop from 20-40 yards. Speed and the correct arrow setup will take the arch out of my shot and I will still have enough KE to take down a Rhino or Giraffe. Oh, and for the record I can pull back this setup without my pancreas hurting or whatever other jacked up claim I'll hear next.

I for one have shot my 440 gr. arrows at 258 fps for too long. I have had a couple of deer jump the string at 20 yards or less and had to track them longer than I'd like since I only clipped one lung or hit the liver when the turned on me. Does speed kill? Yes, if your arrow gets there faster you stand a greater chance of reducing the animal reacting to the sound of the bow. A 300 grain arrow can go through a deer as can a 500 grain arrow, I want a setup that will blow through the shoulder but still be whizzing over 300fps.

VIVA LE SPEED!!
I don't doubt you raceway. And speed is fine. But my question was How many times has that speed made the difference? And how many times has your skill made the difference? I guess my main point is that we should focus on our skills more than relying on technology to make the difference. I think we are all guilty on relying on tech. to make up for our shortcomings instead of focusing on honing our skills.

My intent was not to put down people who have fast bows or shoot high poundage. I don't want this to turn into one of those threads.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

my question was How many times has that speed made the difference? And how many times has your skill made the difference? I guess my main point is that we should focus on our skills more than relying on technology to make the difference. I think we are all guilty on relying on tech. to make up for our shortcomings instead of focusing on honing our skills.
In compliance with the orginal thread, I have never been in a circumstance where more speed would have made a difference. I have been in more than a few situations, where more patience would have been deadly.

And I don't even now what a steenbok is.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry if I took it a little to serious. It seems like half this forum slams the other half for what or how they shoot their bow. I see more speed as an advantage, less drop and a better chance at connecting on a misjudged yardage. Will I ever be a competitive shooter? Heck no, I'm not the best archer by any means but I usually seal the deal and put food in the freezer and bone on the wall.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

But my question was How many times has that speed made the difference? And how many times has your skill made the difference?
I am not sure those are fair questions. I mean really, who honestly knows? With so many varibles involved, is there a definite answer-with 100% certainty?

A good archery combines both skill and technology to his advantage. I doubt you'll ever see an astronaut flying a school bus to the moon. And chances are, you'll never see a WWII fighter aircraft going head to head with a modern day jet. Both skilled pilots are obviously going to use their equipment to its fullest potential, but honestly, who do you think is going to win the dogfight?
Old 06-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Magic. Shot placement or even being able to get into position for the shot is more important, I believe. Speed is important to a certain degree, but my Vectrix at 63#only shoots my 501gr (heavy)arrow at 250fps (slow by todays standards), but I get 69 1/2 ft/lbs of KE. That's what does my killing. I shot at 3 deer, a 7pt, and 2 doe last year killing all 3 with pass throughs. One of them, a big doe was 30yrds out!I would have to see a deer jump my string at 20yrds or closer to believe it!
A deer that can do that was already on edge, caught odor and or movement.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

While speed is never the most important trait I Look for in a Bow. It definitely is an advantage. I can think of at least 3 animals where it probably made the difference for me (pre rangefinder days)

If I find a group of bows that are all close in noise, smoothness, and shootability, I'll take the fastest one of the bunch.

Dan
Old 06-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

I agree with Magic. Shot placement or even being able to get into position for the shot is more important, I believe. Speed is important to a certain degree, but my Vectrix at 63#only shoots my 501gr (heavy)arrow at 250fps (slow by todays standards), but I get 69 1/2 ft/lbs of KE. That's what does my killing. I shot at 3 deer, a 7pt, and 2 doe last year killing all 3 with pass throughs. One of them, a big doe was 30yrds out!I would have to see a deer jump my string at 20yrds or closer to believe it!
A deer that can do that was already on edge, caught odor and or movement.
Order "The Grind" from WKP. Todd puts the shot on the heart and the slow motion shows the buck drop a good 6-8 inches and take a high lung shot. I will be putting arount 89# of KE with my new rig with a 410-440gr. arrow but should be hitting 300-310fps according to MECHDOC's calculations. I'll take the faster shooting arrow anyday and some KE to boot.

Quick Reply: speed kills?????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.