Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 GOING BEAR HUNTING!!!!!! >

GOING BEAR HUNTING!!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

GOING BEAR HUNTING!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2003, 10:05 PM

Default GOING BEAR HUNTING!!!!!!

He guys i just wanted to say that i booked with doc..its a done deal!! Man am i excited i saved up for a long time for this my buddy is driving us hes 17 just got his liscence his dad and dads buddy are coming along too (not to hunt just to chaperone and be the cooks) mike (my buddy) opted to use his .444marlin but im gonna do it the real way and bring the bow man am i excited..one question would my current setup be enough to take down a 500lb+black bear? high country brute force XD 70lb draw weight shooting weighted beman hawks with soon to have nugentblade 125' s? Will this setup quickly dispatch a pig black bear with a good double lung shot? because im bowhunting doc said she would set me up on her hot-spot to try and get me my first bear ever, she got a kick out of that thanks for listening to this happy huntin fool![8D]
Old 02-26-2003, 10:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: GOING BEAR HUNTING!!!!!!

I am sure you wont have any problems taking one with that set up.
Sure sounds like it is going to be a good hunt
Old 02-27-2003, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes you have plenty to take a good sized blackie down clean.

Where are you going? What expectation has " DOC" set for the average size bear? 500 plus lb black bears are not common in a lot of areas, 300 is probably more realistic. But it does depend on where you are going, some areas have larger sized boars.

If you haven' t been bear hunting before, I suggest you do alot of research on size and sex determining a bear while in the field. Shooting Sows is very much frowned upon and excitement can get in the way. Also sizing is a big problem with most first timers, they will think they got a huge bear only to find out it is 200-250 pounds...main reason no experience. If your using steel drums for bait, you can use this as a gauge for size, if the bear can fit in the drum - he' ll be under 6 feet and well under 300 lbs, if he can' t he' ll square at least 6 and over 300 lbs. Many other ways to tell size and sex. Get some videos, books. internet and just ask here or on the big game forum. Bear hunting is a blast and some base knowledge of bears is essential in my opinion before going into the hunt.

Have a good and safe time.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:25 PM

Definatly do your research. Id love to go on a bearhunt. Id study the anatomy also, because i read in the most recent magazine of either Petersons or Bowhunter, i dont remember. But anyways, i remember reading something about you may want to shoot a bear a little bit towards the center of the body, and not hug the shoulder like you would a whitetail. I may be wrong, thats just what i read and ive never hunter bears so i cant tell from experience. Good luck and happy hunting. Post pics!
Old 02-28-2003, 04:04 AM

I would like to go barehuntin to but i would have to tatoo my body in Mossy Oak camo. OH, you said BEArhuntin. nevermind.[&:]
Old 02-28-2003, 07:29 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]