Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bear hunting

Old 02-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bear hunting

I have a question for all of you that hunt bear.Do you guys eat the meat and is it good meat or do you just hunt for the rug? . The reason for me asking is I have an interest in hunting bear but if the meat is no good then I don't want to kill them.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bear hunting

To be honest with you I hunt for the Trophy, but the meat is very good. The loins and hind quaters make awesome, I mean Awesome Stew meat!!

Dan
Old 02-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard that the meat is sweet is that true? Does it have a very wild taste? And last Is it tender or a tougher meat?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: whitetailbowhunter

I have heard that the meat is sweet is that true? Does it have a very wild taste? And last Is it tender or a tougher meat?
When I think of sweet, I think of sweet tea or a candy bar. You will probably get different answers on that but to me it was not what I would call sweet. The Hind quarters and Loins are very tender. I never kept the front quarters because I was usually cramped for space and I was told they are pretty tough. I doubt anyone that has ate my Bear stew would even know it was Wild meat unless I told them. One year made a Big pot of Beef Stew and Big Pot of Bear Stew and invited over friends and family. Just told them it was a couple of different recipes. The Bear Stew was the first to be gone

Dan
Old 02-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: whitetailbowhunter

I have a question for all of you that hunt bear.Do you guys eat the meat and is it good meat or do you just hunt for the rug? . The reason for me asking is I have an interest in hunting bear but if the meat is no good then I don't want to kill them.
Bear meat to me is one of the best eating animals out there. Its very tender but also very fatty. The front quarters on a bear are just fine also. Just like any other animal, the rear quarters are always the best along with the loins but there's nothing to be worried about on the front quarters. One thing that so many people do wrong with bear is they don't take care of the bear meat very well after they harvest it. A bears hide is layered with allot of fat so what we've always done is skin them out and quarter them out immediately when we get them back to our camp and hang them over night to let them cool and then the next morning get them registered and put in a freezer.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK thanks Dan and Schultzy.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have found that it is much better if it is de boned when processed, so if your not going to do it yourself make sure who does it for you does not use a saw on it.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

I have found that it is much better if it is de boned when processed, so if your not going to do it yourself make sure who does it for you does not use a saw on it.
I've found that true with most Wild Game!

Dan
Old 02-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for your help guys!