Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

metal vs rope

Old 06-04-2008, 12:33 PM

Default metal vs rope

I have heard debate between metal knocking loops and string loops amongst my friends and i wanted to hear your opinion on the matter. im in the middle of the road on it because i believe they both have their positives and negatives.

Metal
+ Holds tight and doesnt allow the string to move within it, letting your peep open the same everytime
- will cut down on arrow velocity beacause of its weight

String
+ Lighter, arrow speed will not be effected too much
- will wear out or the bowstring will slip in it.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Spike

Default RE: metal vs rope

The only time I have seen a metal loop in action was in our Bow league this year. I was not impressed. everytime the guy would shoot the bow the metal loop would hit his wisker bisket, just missing his hand. Again, this is the only time I have see one of these in action. I shoot a strinig style and have for years. But I don't have a peep. I shoot a Anchor site.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nuff said:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=A7hxjTP-8zg
Old 06-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot a string loop for the last three years and will not switch back to a metal one.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

string loop is the way to go . the metal cuts speed and spaps around to much. it takes a lot to wear out the string loop and whenyou see wear it is very easy to change
Old 06-04-2008, 01:55 PM

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

There are NO strings on the market that will align your peep square each time, trust me...

I will shoot eithera string loop or from the string..Never metal.
Really? I used to shoot off the string without a peep aligner. Good strings should not move once they are set in. Once the string has been shot in and settled all you need to do is play with the twists in the string until the peep lines up at full draw. With any of the current quality strings on the market they shouldn't stretch after that and your peep will rotate to the same spot everytime.

Now to the original question. Metal vrs String. I have used both, I had an Ultra Nock (still have it actually) for a while. I did not experience any of the problems most seem to be concerned with. It didn't damage my string, it didn't slap my hand and it didn't come loose and kill anyone. It does rob you of some speed though becuase they are pretty heavy.

That being said I prefer the string loop now. It pretty much does the same exact thing, except it's easier to install (once you know what your doing), easier to adjust, lighter and much cheaper. The metal ones with the tiny screws are a pain to put on and adjust.

Oh, and not all releases will work with the metal loops. I used a special release that had hardened rollers on the jaws (Rolleraid) with my metal loop. With a normal caliper release they tend to either chew up the jaws on the release or the metal on the nock. Or your release may not even fit in it.

String loops are just easier and more versitile in my opinion.

Paul
Old 06-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

I had a buddy that used a metal loop but wasnt impressed, so I am sticking with the string. (why fix what aint broke)
Old 06-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

I think I would be nervous to use the metal. Every once and a while the string grazes my lips on release. I dont need any chipped teeth, my dental plan sucks.