Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is there an argument for banning carbons for hunting? >

Is there an argument for banning carbons for hunting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is there an argument for banning carbons for hunting?

Old 06-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Is there an argument for banning carbons for hunting?

aluminums just aren't as efficient for killing game as carbons are.

I absolutely cringed when I read this statement. Aluminums are just as efficient. I'll go so far to say that if aluminums didn't bend easier then most shooters would still be shooting aluminum.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:52 AM

I shot a wild turkey in April with an Easton FMJ - one of the toughest arrows out there. With about 2/3 of the arrow sticking out his backside, the bird was able to thrash around and break it off. It did not, however, splinter like a carbon arrow tends to do.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I shot a wild turkey in April with an Easton FMJ - one of the toughest arrows out there. With about 2/3 of the arrow sticking out his backside, the bird was able to thrash around and break it off. It did not, however, splinter like a carbon arrow tends to do.
Hmmm, I wondered how tough they were.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

aluminums just aren't as efficient for killing game as carbons are.

I absolutely cringed when I read this statement. Aluminums are just as efficient. I'll go so far to say that if aluminums didn't bend easier then most shooters would still be shooting aluminum.
X2, Last time I checked aluminums are quite a bit more heavy than carbons. On the KE chart, a heavy arrow will beat out pure speed all the time. What I like is to have both a heavy arrow moving fast,its the best of both worlds and the KE numbers are off the chart.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:29 PM
neb
Typical Buck

I've had more carbons break and alumuim is very dangerous product. I would say that alumin could go before carbons. I really don't think someone has his facts right. Very good post Paul
Old 06-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you for real?
Old 06-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Goin back to what was originally said, I don't think you thought about what you were posting before you posted it. Looking around at what is popular right now, I'd say that Aluminum arrows are going to go away, probably pretty soon, since its getting more difficult to find them than the stacks of carbons.
As for durability, One may want to remember that our founding fathers and historical archers killed deer with lighter bows and wooden arrows.... The guy who taught me killed hundreds of deer with aluminum arrows.
Infections and wounded animals are more the byproduct of poor/ carelessshots than it is the quality of the arrow.
Think about what you say before you say it, all you did was stir a pot that coulda spoke for itself.... with some common sense.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bump
Old 06-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob:
Last fall my cousin took a poor shot head on. He put the arrow through the sternum. Asa th edeer ran off he could see the arrow half protruding under the deer's chin. I helped him track it till the blood trail ran out 3/4 of a mile away. He never found it. Weeks later ther nieghbor reported seeing a deer with an arrow protruding from it's neck. From the description, it was a different deer entirely. Recently in the paper, there was a report of a deer running around with an arrow protruding from it. Wildlife officials recommended leaving it alone. Those are incidents I know about personally. Deer seem to be able to recover from a non-lethal arrow embedded in it. My concern is that carbons that won't allow the deer to break off the arrow will reduce the recovery from non-lethal hits.

Quick Reply: Is there an argument for banning carbons for hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.