Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To feed or not?

Old 05-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default To feed or not?

I have fed my deer corn some in the past and also some other products such as deer bran. I have never really put a camera on the site of the food so I dont know what time of day the deer are showing up to eat. But I have heard that feeding your deer corn etc. will make them go nocturnal more. Since the food is always there they will come out at night to eat it instead of risking it during the day. I dont know if having a timed feeder would help this cause instead of just dumping corn directly on the ground or not. Or maybe coming out to eat at your food site during the day doesnt bother the bucks but....whats your opinion?

Thanks Kash
Old 05-30-2008, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: To feed or not?

I use corn in 1 location on my property for picture taking purposes only. How the deer react all depends on a number of factors.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Typical Buck

If it's not there naturally,they'll probly use it more after dark.I use it at the cams late in the year when the food sources are getting skinny and I do get alot of day pics but no monsters.JMO
Old 05-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

From my experiences your big bucks are not going to come into the feed sites, howeverI still use them (timed) and hunt the staging areas and travel routes. The does and young bucks have no problem hitting the feed sites in the day time but most of the pics I get of bigger bucks are at night when they come. I do think that a timed feedr would help your issue b/c I used to have a gravity feeder at my house and were seeeing a lot of deer sign but until I went to a timed feeder I didn't hardly ever see them in the daylight hours. That has been what I have noticed over the years.....
Old 05-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did the same thing and the deer came at all kinds of times.