Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Walking with an arrow? >

Walking with an arrow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Walking with an arrow?

Old 05-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Walking with an arrow?

Only one thingmakes my butt pucker like a slow camel in the dark,and thats a fast giraffe in the dark,and thats cause my arrows are to short to do me any good.[]
Old 05-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

Only one thingmakes my butt pucker like a slow camel in the dark,and thats a fast giraffe in the dark,and thats cause my arrows are to short to do me any good.[]
VERY GOOD!!!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Biggest thing around anywhere I have hunted are black bears and wolves and if they aren't scared of me enough to run away, then I don't think my arrow is giong to do me much good.

Never really thought about it I guess. Great, now I am going to be all paranoid walking into my stand
Old 05-28-2008, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Never really thought about it I guess. Great, now I am going to be all paranoid walking into my stand
Just be thankful that you live in Ohio where they don't have slow camels and the such.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Just be thankful that you live in Ohio where they don't have slow camels and the such.
True, but the squirrels are quicker than chit
Old 05-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

have not worried about it until now because I have my 9 year old with me. I think I will be getting some bear mace. We only see maybe one or two a deer season and I have never seen one but I would like to be safe.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:11 AM

The bear pepper spray probably makes as much sense as anything. Awhile back, I was walking back to the truck after trying to roost some turkeys. In the twilight, I saw what appeared to be a cow elk ahead on the trail. Got a little closer and discovered it was a tan colored black bear, quite curious about what exactly this was coming up the trail. He sniffed the air for a minute and ambled off. I did nock an arrow forthe moment, but put it back in the quiver so I didn't cut myself.

Shortly thereafter, I got a deal on a stainless .44 Mag and, after carrying it around briefly, got rid of it as being too heavy and generally frowned on by the game wardens. The Counter Assault is supposed to be just about as effective, at least in the short term.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I'm not trying to pick on you. When I was younger the dark bothered me. I even pulled an arrow last season when some wolves got too close for comfort. Some one said earlier something about being the meanest thing in the woods. Thats kind of how I look at it. If something wants a piece of me then bring it on! They might win but I'll do my best to make sure they don't forget me. They will probably find me someday laying dead with a wolves ear in my teeth.
Well said magicman:

I always travel into the woods in archery season without a light unless it is one of those very dark nights with no moon or heavy cloud cover then I use a red head lamp when necessary. I have kept all of my gear in the same backpack pockets for years, so I don't need a light and turn it off at the stand if I had to use one on the way in and I can put up my tree stand blind folded.

I have hunted in In Canada, MT and throughout Midwest, TX, MO, OK and the N/E. I carry a knife , but it is in my pack and my arrows are in my quiver where they are safe.

I have had bears, elk, moose walking nearby in the dark of morning or night and heard bobcats, and mountain lions in the distance. Also been in the middle of a coyotes on their evening hunt more than once and hunted where wolves have been taken..... that is just part of the hunt and adds to the excitement...things one will never forget.....Stop watching those scary movies those things/creatures are not in the woods. One is more likely to trip, fall cut oneself carrying a sharp object than being malled by a werewolf....

Maybe this comes from extensive coon hunting alone a kid or with a buddy my age or running a mile or so of traps after school alone since the seventh grade.

The creatures that concern me the most are skunks and porcupines, but either have put an attact on me yet...

I can't see and arrow in hand in the dark as much of a weapon against anything other than man......

If it is an animal “Bite their ear off.........”

Old 05-28-2008, 11:19 AM

Is this thread for real? I think if I was scared to walk in the woods, I would just not hunt. If you are scared of the dark, just carry a good bright flashlight...the deer don'tcare.

There was a guy that was hunting a few miles from my house that fell on his arrow that he was carrying and died before he made it back to the road. Carrying an arrow in your hand while walking in the woods is putting you in far more danger than anything that might "get you".
Old 05-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Always in a quiver if I'm moving.

Quick Reply: Walking with an arrow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.