Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Less of a deer hunter??? >

Less of a deer hunter???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Less of a deer hunter???

Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Less of a deer hunter???

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

No.

Short add....the mounts on my wall are tributes to the DEER....not me.
I think it is a little more than just a tribute to the deer. If that was the sole reason, then we wouldn't kill the deer, but maybe just take a picture of that deer. I believe most hunters mount a deer because they are proud of their accomplishment. I respect and pay tribute to every deer I kill, but I surely don't mount every deer I kill. A trophy, whether mounted or not, is in the eye of the beholder. I'm not disagreeing with you, just adding a little extra.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not at all.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

There've been a few posts on here lately that have made me take a look at myself as a "deer hunter".Threads like "What is your goal" where a lot of folks said they're going to hold out for a 120", 130", 140" or 150" buck or higher. I wish you all the best of luck, but it's just not for me. Valor10 made a post in "The kill" thread, and I'm going to quotepart of ithere:

Interesting thread indeed. You know, I’ve never mounted a head. I’ve never hunted deer for the rack. I take no offense of those that do, and I’m very appreciative of a nice mount. It’s just not me. I take the same pleasure in killing a young doe, as I do a mature buck. I hunt deer for the sport of killing them, to eat. I’ve said a prayer and thanked the Lord over every kill I’ve made.
This pretty much fits me to a "T". My goal this year will be to hunt with my sons, hunt with my brother, take8 deer (3 in Arkansas, 2 in Missouri, and 3 in Tennessee), have a wonderful time, enjoy the outdoors, enjoy life and fill my freezer with venison. A huge buck, big buck, nice buck or even a decent buckwould be nice, but big does will do just fine for me. I'm just not after a trophy buck to hang on the wall.

Honestly, I feel just as successful when I go out and hammer a big doe as I did when I took my biggest buck ever year before last. Now, I have all the respect in the world for those of you who can go out and scout, plan and develop a sound strategy and take wall hangers with consistency. My hat's off to you all. Also, I'll admit to sitting on the stand and daydreaming about a big ol' 200" class "Mack Daddy Freaknasty" (Michael Waddell) non-typical walking in, but I know it's not a realistic expectation for me, and I know I'll have a great season even though it doesn't happen.

So tell me... does this make me orsomeone elsewho share these views less of a deer hunter?
I agree with you 100% little chief. I hunt to hunt. If I a get a good one, that is a bonus. I havea couple mounted... both less than 120". One may be 100" and the other 80" or so... trophies to me and I truly don't care what others think

Old 05-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I may be all alone in thinking this.....but to me....the harvest photo is for the hunter. The mount is paying tribute to the deer.

That's just the way I view it.

It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks, though, really. You guys should huntfor and why you want to ....and don't worry about anyone else.

Respect.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

No.

Short add....the mounts on my wall are tributes to the DEER....not me.
I think it is a little more than just a tribute to the deer. If that was the sole reason, then we wouldn't kill the deer, but maybe just take a picture of that deer. I believe most hunters mount a deer because they are proud of their accomplishment. I respect and pay tribute to every deer I kill, but I surely don't mount every deer I kill. A trophy, whether mounted or not, is in the eye of the beholder. I'm not disagreeing with you, just adding a little extra.
For me to have one mounted, it would have to be an absolute bruiser.... one so big that it would just be a pity for it to just disappear from the face of the earth without some way of being remembered other than steaks in the freezer and stories where I hold up my hands and say "it was this big". Does that make sense?
Old 05-07-2008, 08:41 AM

No less of a hunter in my book. I hunt all deer, and kill em as I see fit, sometimes it's a good one sometimes it's a doe, regardless, I enjoy them all. I have never considered myself a "trophy hunter" and i never will, not anything wrong with it though, I just love to hunt deer and some years i kill deer that i wouldn't have in other years. A trophy hunter hunts for mature "big" Bucks, I hunt them too, just not exclusively. Now, this year I will not shoot a small buck because I don't to shoot a small one when i have bigger ones around in my area. I killed a few 100-115 " deer last year and I would like to kill another deer with the bow that i will mount, that will hopefully be around 120-125 realistically. Not exactly a true troohy in most cases. What Im saying is, I would rather just shoot a doe as I would a 4 pt .
Old 05-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I enjoy my mounts. They are a daily reminder ofpast hunts. I enjoy the outdoors so I bring some inside.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I may be all alone in thinking this.....but to me....the harvest photo is for the hunter. The mount is paying tribute to the deer.

That's just the way I view it.

It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks, though, really. You guys should huntfor and why you want to ....and don't worry about anyone else.

Respect.
I was actually talking about a picture of the deer while he is alive.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

What Im saying is, I would rather just shoot a doe as I would a 4 pt .
Vabowman,
I agree. I don't shoot every deer that walks by, and I hope everyone didn't read that into what I wrote. Last year, I passed on 2small 6 points, 2 fork horns and 3 spikes, so I ended up not getting a buck with my bow. In years past, I would have dropped them, but I've learned quite a bit on these forums in the past 14 or 15 months. I passed on them because I was bowhunting, and I could take does. I might not be holding out for a monster, but others are, and if I can fill my freezer with does, I'll let the youngbucks grow up a bit. Maybe, if I get to stay where I'm at, my own actions will have one of those great ol' big ones walking by someday.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are happy, I am happy! Sounds like you got your priorities stright just enjoying the time spent with your family. Which gives me an Idea for a new thread.

Quick Reply: Less of a deer hunter???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.