Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Less of a deer hunter??? >

Less of a deer hunter???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Less of a deer hunter???

Old 05-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Less of a deer hunter???

Noway! My whole family eats deer I filled 3 doe tags last year and a small 5 point. I was just as happy to put all the meat in the freezer in which we cook all the time! TO me a big buck is just a plus. I would rather be feeding my family!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I enjoy my mounts. They are a daily reminder ofpast hunts. I enjoy the outdoors so I bring some inside.
I hear ya. I sometimes find myself staring atand admiring one of my mounts and thinking back to the hunt.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: twildasin

Noway! My whole family eats deer I filled 3 doe tags last year and a small 5 point. I was just as happy to put all the meat in the freezer in which we cook all the time! TO me a big buck is just a plus. I would rather be feeding my family!
I know! I've gotten to the point where deer steaks are PREFERRED over beef steaks at my house. I've got all the processing equipment now, and every recipe that calls for ground beef is made using ground venison now. I've got one heck of a burger recipe.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I take the same approach as you chief, with the exception of a couple of weeks during the rut. I try not to take small bucks but it all depends on the circumstance - it is all about the venison and my family as well as helping others - I also agree that photos are important- I am one happy doe thumper and my excitement is the same - Iget all shooken up and lose control - when I lose that will quit hunting

My mounts are as follows
spike buck - first buck killed - with a bow
4 point - had unusual antlers and I took him in 60 mph winds
6 point- largest body deer I have taken
Cowhorn spike- tines are extremely long - need to remeasure but think one is 18 inches other is 20
8 point - lots of mass and symetrical rack
9 point - first deer with rilfe - has 18 inch spread and lots of character
9 point largest deer on the wall with my bow two years ago

I have different reasons for mounting these deer, some was the experience, the accomplishment, some are small some are large but all are respected

Old 05-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

shoot what makes ya happy, thats all that really matters..

mounts, hides, skulls, for me, all taxidermy is a form or artwork and constant reminder of the great times I have enjoyed in the woods. I, like Jeff, feel that a mount is done and up ....out of respect for the critter... If I wanted to show mine off I'd put them all up my big living room gable end walls, vaulted ceilings etc.. instead I keep my whitetails and sheds pretty much hidden in my basement and am very selective whom I share them with..I enjoy sharing them with folks that appreciate taxidermy and a good hunting story...for those reasons, Ishare them with my friends here, family but rarely visitors..
Old 05-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

No.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good thread Chief! What ever makes one happy is what they should be shooting. Weather its a fawn or a 150" buck, what matters is that your happy with your accomplishment of the animal you shot! I don't look down on anyone thats happy with what they shoot. The people I look down on are the people that make excuses up for shooting the animal that they did and later saying I wish I wouldn't and then rattling off excuses on why they did shoot it! My cousin did this very exact thing. His very 1st elk was a small 5x5 bull elk. He later complained that he should of held out for a bigger bull being there was some bigger ones around. I would be jumping up and down going crazy if I shot a cow elk for my first elk. I no longer hunt with this person anymore because of this and what he did.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Good thread Chief! What ever makes one happy is what they should be shooting. Weather its a fawn or a 150" buck, what matters is that your happy with your accomplishment of the animal you shot!
That really sums it up right there ,
Old 05-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

I know! I've gotten to the point where deer steaks are PREFERRED over beef steaks at my house. I've got all the processing equipment now, and every recipe that calls for ground beef is made using ground venison now. I've got one heck of a burger recipe.
talk is cheap, LC Can you PM me the recipe?

Btw ..... I hunt like you do, Bro ....
Old 05-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great thing about Bowhunting is that it is a personal sport in which you can set personal goals. I never get down on someone because their goals might be different than mine. I have never been a true Trophy hunter, but have been Lucky enough to kill several P&Y qualifiers of different species.

Sometimes my goals may vary day to day, and week to week. Also depends on where I am hunting. I Hunt to Kill and without the Kill hunting would be very unsatisfying to me. When I have the desire to kill something I make that my goal.

Then my goals will change again!I have spent many days in a Stand passing several animals waiting for a particular one, but to do that every time out is not for me.

There really is No substitute to killing something to stay sharp.

Dan

Quick Reply: Less of a deer hunter???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.