HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Less of a deer hunter???
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Western MA Hunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Less of a deer hunter???

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

There've been a few posts on here lately that have made me take a look at myself as a "deer hunter".Threads like "What is your goal" where a lot of folks said they're going to hold out for a 120", 130", 140" or 150" buck or higher. I wish you all the best of luck, but it's just not for me. Valor10 made a post in "The kill" thread, and I'm going to quotepart of ithere:

Interesting thread indeed. You know, I’ve never mounted a head. I’ve never hunted deer for the rack. I take no offense of those that do, and I’m very appreciative of a nice mount. It’s just not me. I take the same pleasure in killing a young doe, as I do a mature buck. I hunt deer for the sport of killing them, to eat. I’ve said a prayer and thanked the Lord over every kill I’ve made.
This pretty much fits me to a "T". My goal this year will be to hunt with my sons, hunt with my brother, take8 deer (3 in Arkansas, 2 in Missouri, and 3 in Tennessee), have a wonderful time, enjoy the outdoors, enjoy life and fill my freezer with venison. A huge buck, big buck, nice buck or even a decent buckwould be nice, but big does will do just fine for me. I'm just not after a trophy buck to hang on the wall.

Honestly, I feel just as successful when I go out and hammer a big doe as I did when I took my biggest buck ever year before last. Now, I have all the respect in the world for those of you who can go out and scout, plan and develop a sound strategy and take wall hangers with consistency. My hat's off to you all. Also, I'll admit to sitting on the stand and daydreaming about a big ol' 200" class "Mack Daddy Freaknasty" (Michael Waddell) non-typical walking in, but I know it's not a realistic expectation for me, and I know I'll have a great season even though it doesn't happen.

So tell me... does this make me orsomeone elsewho share these views less of a deer hunter?
I agree with you 100% little chief. I hunt to hunt. If I a get a good one, that is a bonus. I havea couple mounted... both less than 120". One may be 100" and the other 80" or so... trophies to me and I truly don't care what others think