Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrow weight / kinetic energy question?? >

Arrow weight / kinetic energy question??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow weight / kinetic energy question??

Old 05-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Arrow weight / kinetic energy question??

ORIGINAL: western outdoors

I've been trying to paper tune my new bow. Bow is a single cam set at 65 lb draw weight, 29" draw, IBO speed is up to 318 fps (I don't actually know what it is shooting). I've been testing many different arrows with length of 28" bare shaft and 29" with nock. I've found an arrow that paper tunes the best with my bow, but it weighs less than all of the other arrows I've been trying. With 100 grain tip, it weighs 360 total (most of the other arrows were closer to 405). I hear you get more speed with the lighter arrow, but you also sacrifice kinetic energy. So my question is, is the 360 grain arrow going to be sufficient enough for penetration, etc. for elk with ranges out to 50 yards? Or would I be better off to sacrifice a little on the paper tuning, and go with a heavier arrow? I also hunt with mechanicals if that makes a difference.
I would sacrafice the speed for a heavier arrow any day! Your bow is already pretty fast and with a heavier arrow you'll have the best of both worlds! It's pretty hard to stop a speeding freight train!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:36 AM

Default RE: Arrow weight / kinetic energy question??

I went thought his same thing recently and checked KE with arrows speeds. You would be amazed at what small amounts of KE is actually lost. I switched from 385 grain arrows to 336 and gained 17 fps @ 65 pounds. KE only changed a couple pounds. Still at high 68 pounds. I would recommend going to lighter, faster arrow with correct spine.

Good luck