Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
It's a necessary evil ..... I don't like it
4.86%
It's necessary ..... I'm ok with it
20.83%
It's all part of the hunt .... I like it
36.11%
It's an awesome rush .... I love it
38.19%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

The Kill

Old 05-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Kill

The word "successful" as it applies to hunting means only one thing to me. You've succeeded in your objective. If your objective is to hold out for bucks only, 150" or better and you only take one deer on, say, 15 December but it meets that requirement, then you're successful. But what about the days you hunted before that? Were you successful? It's just my opinion here, but each day I hunt and don't take one, I didn't succeed on that particular day. I may have had a great time, and I may still be a "successful" hunter, but on that day, I didn't succeed in accomplishing what I set out to do.

I know the term is relative. A hunt for a specific buck can run weeks, months or even years, but in the end, what defines success in relation to deer hunting?
Old 05-05-2008, 04:57 PM

WAX DUDE BRO any ?
Old 05-05-2008, 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: valor10

Valor....I don't need for you to understand how I'm wired. I just don't enjoy killing.
No problem GMMAT. You start a lot of posts about hunting "ethics" and "morals". If you don't care whether I understand you or not, why do you seek the opinion or viewpoint of others? Isn't this about understanding each other? I DON T CARE ABOUT YOUR VEIW, OTHERS YES, YOU NO MAKE SENCE TO ME AND YOUR RUINING A VERY GOOD POST MAYBE WE WILL START IT AGAIN DURING SCHOOL HOURS

If thats the case, then hunt with arrows with suction cups on the tip ... or use one of those things that will throw a paint ball at the animal ......

Bottom .line .... you KILL the animal, jump up and down, hoot and holler, then grab those nasty horns and take a picture and pass it all over the net and to family ...... prolly drive it around, stopping at peeps houses ....... the kill part feeds our ego ... we have dominated the animal by taking it's life ... and we will make sure everyone knows about it ....

Thanks PreacherTony. Couldn't have said it better.

Does the man who slaughters cattle for a living enjoy the killing? Or....does he recognize it as part of the process that puts meat on the table?
No. Nobody needs to kill a deer for food. You voluntarily kill a deer for sport. For sport Bro! Cows and chickens are killed for food, not sport. How can you get those confused?

Pets? I held my old German Shepard in my arms while they stuck the needle in him. I watched the light extinguish in his eyes. I cried like a baby. When a deer drops off, I'm thinking "GET THE GRILL READY BABY!
Old 05-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Somehow the taking of another warm-blooded mammal (deer) for our sustinenceis for a moment like living and beingthe true image and likeness of God......It is "supremely" DIVINE!!!!
Old 05-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

I really don't see how difficult it is for some to understand that some of us can absolutely love to hunt (and kill) but not take so much glee in the killing part of it.
That's aconfusing sentance to me John .... I assume you meant, love to hunt but not take glee in the kill
I figured it would be confusing, you see I originally wanted to just say "some of us can absolutely love to hunt but not take so much glee in the killing part of it." but I wanted everyone to know that I know full well that there is killing involved and I don't have a problem with doing it, so I stuck the (and kill) in the sentance.I just don't get that much satisfaction out of the actual kill.

Yes I know it's part of the way I hunt, and I would not want to hunt any other way or I'd have a camera in my hands instead of a bow/gun. It's just that I don't see where the kill has to be so joyfully exalted for the hunt to be a success or worthy of our pursuit.
I don't think anyone is saying it HAS to be .... for most it seems it is .......
Yeah, I know. I guess I just can't get into the actual joy of killing as others do. Doesn't make it wrong or right, just not my thing. Don't get me wrong, it's something I have no problem doing, it's just not the "highlight" of the hunt for me.

Oh...you spelled sentence wrong. Sorry...couldn't resist.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Killing is part of the hunt. I don't mind it but I don't live to kill either. It is a huge rush to be that close to such a great animal and to know that I fooled it for just long enough to put a clean ethical kill shot on it is what I love!! When I walk up to an animal that I have killed I always take the time to admire and honor the great animal.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

The word "successful" as it applies to hunting means only one thing to me. You've succeeded in your objective. If your objective is to hold out for bucks only, 150" or better and you only take one deer on, say, 15 December but it meets that requirement, then you're successful. But what about the days you hunted before that? Were you successful? It's just my opinion here, but each day I hunt and don't take one, I didn't succeed on that particular day. I may have had a great time, and I may still be a "successful" hunter, but on that day, I didn't succeed in accomplishing what I set out to do.

I know the term is relative. A hunt for a specific buck can run weeks, months or even years, but in the end, what defines success in relation to deer hunting?
As far as success goes in relation to "The Kill", I can't tell you how many people I have talked to in all my 42 years of life, that have told me they used to hunt, but never got anything.....so they stopped.

How long do you think anyone would keep hunting if they havenever killed anything?? Without the kill, the exclamation point of all our efforts, it loses it's luster .....
Old 05-06-2008, 04:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

I really don't see how difficult it is for some to understand that some of us can absolutely love to hunt (and kill) but not take so much glee in the killing part of it.
That's aconfusing sentence to me John .... I assume you meant, love to hunt but not take glee in the kill
I figured it would be confusing, you see I originally wanted to just say "some of us can absolutely love to hunt but not take so much glee in the killing part of it." but I wanted everyone to know that I know full well that there is killing involved and I don't have a problem with doing it, so I stuck the (and kill) in the sentance.I just don't get that much satisfaction out of the actual kill.
gotcha ....... by the way .... you spelled sentence wrong as well two wrongs don't make a right

Yes I know it's part of the way I hunt, and I would not want to hunt any other way or I'd have a camera in my hands instead of a bow/gun. It's just that I don't see where the kill has to be so joyfully exalted for the hunt to be a success or worthy of our pursuit.
I don't think anyone is saying it HAS to be .... for most it seems it is .......
Yeah, I know. I guess I just can't get into the actual joy of killing as others do. Doesn't make it wrong or right, just not my thing. Don't get me wrong, it's something I have no problem doing, it's just not the "highlight" of the hunt for me.
the joy of killing as it pertains to the hunt .... I just want to make sure that is clear .....

Oh...you spelled sentence wrong. Sorry...couldn't resist.
LOL ....see above, Einstein! Please don't kill me ......
Old 05-06-2008, 05:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey Tony.....

I thought about something this morning...

I used to flyfish a LOT (more than I hunt). To my knowledge....I never killed a trout. The end of a 1/2 day in a stream....in which I caught a few fish....was extremely enjoyable...."successful", even.

All that.....and (again, to my knowledge)....I never killed a fish.

I was also an avid saltwater fisherman when I lived in Charleston, SC....and I killed a bunch of fish! (no problem doing so, either)

The 8 pointer I took last year.....who now is on my wall.....I wish, somehow (in a strange way)....he was still out there. Do I regret killing him? Do I have remorse (now)? No way. But did I take "pleasure" in killing him? No. I just didn't.

I respect yours and others views on the kill aspect. I just don't have a drive to do the actual act. It's "a" part of the hunt I am fine with, internally, though. I don't think we're ever going to understand how the other is wired. I fall in lock step, it seems, with BigJ.

Have a great week.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I would not have any bad feelings about putting a bullet in a child molersters head, does that make me bad?
Gary I wont debate this with you......but I will say I don't think you've thought this through. If you have.....I'd be surprised.

Nobody said anythig about feeling bad (afterwards). Would you "enjoy" it whie you were doing it?

I don't need to know the answer to that.
Honstly I don't know[&:]

Quick Reply: The Kill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.