Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Minimum KE for deer hunting? >

Minimum KE for deer hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Minimum KE for deer hunting?

Old 04-24-2008, 11:38 AM

Default Minimum KE for deer hunting?

My wife, for whatever reason I aint complaining, dug her bow out of the basement this year and has started to shoot again, it is a good little bow, but it is not set up for her, it was bought at a rummage sale just so she could see if archery was something she wanted to get into with a minimal $ investment.

Well, since she told me that she would maybe like to try her hand at hunting deer this fall, I have been looking into some options, but the one that I keep drawing a blank on is what sort of KE (kinetic energy) is required to go out and harvest a deer? and with that number, what sort of range limit should she be restricted to? or does that not really matter?

I am hoping that she will be able to get up to the 35lb range, probably about a 25" draw length. I think getting a properly set up(ie a bow that fits her) bow for her right now is going to save alot of frustration down the line

oh this is turning into a bit of a ramble, but finally, would a single cam bow be a better bow to start outon? or stick with the cam and a halfs or dual/binary cams?
Old 04-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Minimum KE for deer hunting?

I think most states require a 40lb min on the bow to be legal to hunt with, so that would be the first thing I would into. As far as KE goes, they say 40lbs is need for pass thrus, but that would not be required to kill a deer. I think it would be really hard for you to get a bow that could produce 40 foot pounds with a 25-26 DL and 40lbs DW. My oldest bow killed his first deer with a youth bow set at 26" DL, 41lbs DW and was producing something like 27 foot pounds. I limited him to 25 yards and in and had him shoot a fixed blade BH that was cut on contact. His deer did not go but about 45 yards after the shot (double lung), the BH came out the other side, but it was not a complete pass thru, but did the job real fine. I hope that helps you.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

A 35 pound compound with the correct arrow, broadhead combination will be enough to take down a deer. Check the laws though. In New York it is inlawful to hunt with 35 pounds or less on big game. That includes traditional equipment.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:36 PM

I just looked online. According to the WDNR Hunting Regulations booklet.
• Bows must have a draw weight of 30 pounds or greater and metal broadheads must
be at least 7/8 inches wide and kept sharp to hunt deer.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

She will get stronger fast if she shoots a lot. Lknhuntress went from 28lbs to 44lbs in 7 months. She switched bows and can draw her new DXT at 48lbs. I think she will be above 50lbs come deer season.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: LKNCHOPPERS

She will get stronger fast if she shoots a lot. Lknhuntress went from 28lbs to 44lbs in 7 months. She switched bows and can draw her new DXT at 48lbs. I think she will be above 50lbs come deer season.
I am hoping that she puts the muscle on, but whenever I try to sneak in a 1/4 turn (or less) she always figures it out and says she can't pull that much. Thinking about going with a cheaper bow to start with, and it really isn't all that cheap 200-300 bucks for the bare bow (or better yet a fully set up used bow). If she does get into it, and gets into that 40-50 pound range, then that opens the door for some of the other bows that are out there.

Debating on trying to teach her myself, but for some reason she doesn't take my constructive critiscm all that well I might have to bring someone else in to get her to follow some of the basics.

Right now I am hoping she does follow through, as long as I don't have to stay home all the time to watch the boys while she goes out hunting [&:][&:]

And if it is all for naught, at least there will be a couple lower poundage bows around for when the boys reach the age they can use them (2 1/2 years and 10 weeks right now)
Old 04-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kat can pull more but she hunted with her Equalizer set on 40# (25" draw) She shot her 1st deer at 33 yards and blew completely through her. Granted the Equalizer is one of the best short draw bows but it doesn't take a lot of KE to kill a deer with a properly placed arrow.

Dan
Old 04-24-2008, 10:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Rhino259

I just looked online. According to the WDNR Hunting Regulations booklet.
• Bows must have a draw weight of 30 pounds or greater and metal broadheads must
be at least 7/8 inches wide and kept sharp to hunt deer.

Hope this helps.
I second Rhino259, check your state regs and go from there.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

My fiancee shoots a Diamond Rapture Lite that she started shooting 28lbs and once she was comfortable drawing and had her drawing technique down her draw weight jumped. Luckily our local shop owner helped us out and switched limbs for her. When I bought the bow for her I got the 30-40 lb. She switched it up to the 40-50 lb limbs and she is comfortable shooting at 43lbs right now. She hunted twice with me last year and never got a shot. Second day of gun season she shot a doe at 15 yards with her shotgun. Would have been perfect if it was still bow season. But she is very hopefull this year. Its amazing how fast that bow is for a 26" draw length at 43lbs.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Dominant Buck

The only problem with lower poundage and K.E. is you have to be very disciplined at shot selection. Ranges should be shortened and big bone avoided at all cost.

Quick Reply: Minimum KE for deer hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.