HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Minimum KE for deer hunting?
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Wiaxle

Default Minimum KE for deer hunting?

My wife, for whatever reason I aint complaining, dug her bow out of the basement this year and has started to shoot again, it is a good little bow, but it is not set up for her, it was bought at a rummage sale just so she could see if archery was something she wanted to get into with a minimal $ investment.

Well, since she told me that she would maybe like to try her hand at hunting deer this fall, I have been looking into some options, but the one that I keep drawing a blank on is what sort of KE (kinetic energy) is required to go out and harvest a deer? and with that number, what sort of range limit should she be restricted to? or does that not really matter?

I am hoping that she will be able to get up to the 35lb range, probably about a 25" draw length. I think getting a properly set up(ie a bow that fits her) bow for her right now is going to save alot of frustration down the line

oh this is turning into a bit of a ramble, but finally, would a single cam bow be a better bow to start outon? or stick with the cam and a halfs or dual/binary cams?