Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I had my hopes but I was disappointed... >

I had my hopes but I was disappointed...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I had my hopes but I was disappointed...

Old 04-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-14-2008, 11:25 AM

Default RE: I had my hopes but I was disappointed...

Mightymite, I don't show too many movies, SOL's test don't allow the time to do so. I usually have no problems with this stuff, Im a bit of a hard ass in my classroom, but for some reason they just didn't take interest in this subject, maybe they have heard too much about it??? I don't know, they did act this way about the Cicil War as well, maybe they have heard it a bunch, but it still doesn't take away from the importance of it all, it's ok, I hammered them pretty good on the test and they got a wake up call!!
Old 04-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

People care more about a celebrities lack of panties than they do the sacrifices of our soldiers. They take their freedoms for granted. People base their opinions on a 'it's all about me' attitude. Personal responsibility is practically a lost idea now.

Then again, I could just be bitter, living in a small town and clinging to my guns.
[>:]
Old 04-14-2008, 12:24 PM

Vabowman,
I know exactly what you are going through. I teach at a private high school and for some reason this particular group of kids could care less about anyone or anything but themselves. The selfeshness and lack of respect these kids show is amazing me. I have been at this for 15 years and this is the worst group and the first year I really asked myself do I want to be subjected to these little craps any more. I am just a lowly shop teacher / administrator and I typically get the academic castaways who need an elective for graduation, and I can typically create a bond with these kids. However this year all I want to do is teach my one class and get back to my office and other duties. The all about me generation has a long way to go before the can appreciate the "Great Generation". Sad.

Tom
Old 04-14-2008, 01:00 PM

I am in 10th grade and I look forward to covering WWII. But it always seems that the teachers just brush over the subject. I do not understand whyyour kidsare not interested. I know in my class that is the one subject we all want to learn about, but just do not have the time to spend to go into great detail.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:20 PM

CNY, I don't know, I think it has a lot to do with burn out, but most kids get this way, I just expected more from this particular group. I take so many cell phones a day it's rediculous. This generation, and I told them today, would be lost without 3 things... cell, ipod, and computer. I tried to explain to them how tough these people were that made it through the Depression and a world war, and that I will gladly give up my social security to them! They just looked dumbfounded.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Landon you know that I was at screening for the Police Academy on Friday and Saturday... well, a good friend of mine from Eastern Henrico was there as well that I went to the Citadel with. Hadn't seen him in over three years... he's about to make Captain in the Marine Corps, but has chosen instead to take a position in the reserves... his wife and he are about to have their second child, and he left 9 days after his first was born. So ironically we are both trying to get the gig with Henrico county, which would be pretty dang cool as he was one of the few people I readily hung out with on a regular basis both in and out of The Citadel.

Anyway, he did two tours in Iraq, got blown up a few times... he hears about as well as my muzzle blasted duck hunting ears do, but he was talking to another guy who is also stationed at Camp Lejune with 1/8 Marines. The first day we had to wear business suits, and I noticed this kid (he was 21) had a Lapel pin that was a ribbon award for a Purple Heart. I didn't ask because when I shook his hand I could see why. He had third degree burns all up and down BOTH arms. Skin graphs and everything... nasty scars... fortunately hardly any worse for wear other than on the surface... but good Lord... I couldn't imagine...

What those kids in your class don't realize is that when he got burned like that, he was only 18... which ain't hardly any older than they are... its a big shock for kids when they get out from under the blanket of mommy and daddy.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Va.. I wouldn't worry too much. Just try to teach them the best you can.

You teach 9th and 10th grade.. those kids are more worried about what happened this past weekend than anything else. At the age group of 15-19 I think most kids are more worried about their own personal world as opposed to the outside world.. but don't take it to heart.

I am a huge history buff myself. But only got into the more I've aged. And I'm a young man of only 28 yrs. When I was 16.. I cared about cars and ladies.. 2 things I really have lost touch with since..[&:]

Don't take it personally Va. Teach to those who want to be taught... the rest can listen. Most kids don't know who they are yet.. but these lessons you teach will eventually help them mold into the person they want to be. And then some of the most unlikely of them.. will be in history themselves.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:15 PM

Andy that sent chills down my spine! I know, my juniors are 16- 17 yrs old, it could be them. They are so self obsorbed, I understand it's their age, but we are at war right now, they are living through it and could care less about it. Or any other war that happened. Duke, thanks for the encouragement! I know that some kids were into it, actually two girls I had in class were and are always glued to my lectures and class activites, exchange students, guess where they are from?? yep, Germany! They were taken back by the opening seen to say the least, but they watched it and had questions afterwards. They are the best students I have this year, they always work hard and they speak better English than many of my own students! They really do care about education over in Europe far more than we do here, trust me, my inlaws are from England and it's the same there.