Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hopes for my first deer

Old 08-31-2007, 12:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hopes for my first deer

I been hunting 2 years with a 10 years break in between (long story), I am going into my 3rd year hunting. Last year I shoot and missed 3 deer all about 100+ yrd. This year I am going to close my range up to 100 or less and go between 3 guns depending on terrain and my shotgun with 00 buck or slug if I get to the end of season and missed again.
Is this a good idea?

guns:
muzzleloader 75 or less
rifle: one chamber in 7.62X39 75 or less and 30-06 up to 100
Old 08-31-2007, 12:43 AM

Default RE: Hopes for my first deer

Sounds good. Make sure to hit up the rifle range and keep that scope sighted in. 30-06 at 100yrds or less shouldn't be a problem at all.

Good luck sir.

Post a picture when you score.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will, only thing I am really asking myself. Do I take the buck I see every day on my scouting or take a doe and save the buck for the first day of rifle. I live in VA and we have 3 or more week of doe this year
Old 08-31-2007, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take the first good shot you have , if it's a buck, then shoot it....you might not get the opportunity to shoot at him again .....
Old 08-31-2007, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

Good Luck! I'm looking for a first deer also. Starting tomorrow we have two weeks of bow season that are buck only (two inches of antler or more), then it's anything until Jan 1st. I've been told by several people to shoot the first legal thing that puts itself in my sights with a good shot. I have a spike buck with about four inch antlers that's been here everyday and I'm considering trying to take it.