Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 North American Super Slam >

North American Super Slam

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

North American Super Slam

Old 02-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: North American Super Slam

The black listed animals are species I feel can be hunted DIY. A few more can be added to the black DIY list with a change of state residency (from X to Alaska..."*"). The red list will require a guide or a change of nationality.

Bison
Mt. Goat
Mt. Lion
Antelope
Musk ox *
Woodland Caribou

Quebec Labrador Caribou
Central Canada Barren Ground Caribou
Mountain Caribou

Barren Ground Caribou
Alaska-Yukon Moose
Canada Moose
Shiras Moose
Polar Bear
Grizzly Bear *
Kodiak Bear *

Black Bear
Sitka Blacktail Deer
Columbian Blacktail Deer
Whitetail Deer
Mule Deer
Coues Whitetail Deer
Roosevelt Elk
Tule Elk(I'm sure this hunt will require a guide simplydueto the limited accessibility)
Rocky Mountain Elk (American Elk)
Desert Bighorn Sheep
Rocky Mt. Bighorn Sheep
Dall Sheep *
Stone Sheep

Old 02-02-2009, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

You've hit the nail on the head, huck.Believe me, I've thought of moving to Ak long enough to get the animals I need! lol Or marrying someone there. I've made offers, but interestingly, no one took me up on it! lol

I wish all the states offeredPP's and BP's.

FYI! I've contacted an outfitter in Newfoundland and he says the Woodland Caribou are in decline. They are waiting to hear from the government to see how many tags they'll be issued, if any. This last season, they were onlyissued 5 tags.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MC Bowhunter

Chuch Adams had a nice sponsor to help him. Get the ones you can on your own. Write some stories and submit them to some magazines to try and get the word out on all the animals you have harvestedalready.Then maybea companywill notice what you have done and offer to help you out.

Darrall Dougherty
Chuck had no sponsors while working on the Super Slam.

A quote from his book:

"Part of it was spending virtually everything I had going after more exoctic animals in the Super Slam. In 1985 I pulled the plug and really went after them. I mean, I went to my local banker. People ask who paid for the Super Slam. I did. I took out several bank loans to go on these hunts because I just didn't have the money in the bank. And I owned a house and I had some collateral and took out loans and paid them back. Those were expensive hunts even then. I paid for all of my hunts-always have and I like it that way. There were fewer strings attached."

Gutschow, Gregg. Life at Full Draw: The Chuck Adams Story. Minnesota: IHUNT Communications, 2002. pg. 52.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I'm sure this is nothing we can't solve over a cold drink and a warm camp fire
We solved some didn't we Jim?
We sure did and I sincerely hope we get to do it again. Although this year I plan to actually shoot before I show up for a 3D smackdownI hate getting my arse kicked around like an empty can of soup
Old 02-03-2009, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Rob,

You know I'm wishing you the best of luck on your pronghorn hunt! Knock one dead!

I had my desert mule deer devoured by feral hogs and scattered to the four winds on Jan 3rd, 09. I made a good 30 yard shot on a 26 inch wide 5x5 while hunting SE N. Mexico. I shot the deer late in the evening and opted toretrieve the beastthe followingmorning. I found a blood trail leading into a mess of pig tracks, pig poop, and uprooted soil. I find neither hide nor hair of my deer from that point.My next desert hunt will have revenge attached.

I'm off to Victoria Island in September for a musk ox.

Jim, what are your plans?
Monie?
That's terrible luck huck! Sounds like a beautiful mule deer. Congrats anyway. Nothing you can do about feral hogs.

I don't know what I am doing yet this year. It all hinges on if I draw a tag in Montana. If I do, then my dad and I are going there DIY for elk and mule deer and maybe whitetails if our buddy actually follows through. If I/we don't draw a tag, then we are debating New Foundland for moose and woodland caribou, Ontario for black bear, or an OTC tag in CO. I would love to see New Foundland, but I don't know if that will be in the cards financially this year.

Good luck on the musk ox! What an adventure that should be! I can't wait for the story and pics
Old 02-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you decide on Newfoundland, contact your outfitter before hand to make sure they have been issued caribou tags! If you missed my other post, according to my outfitter, the caribou are in decline and the outfitters are waiting to see if the government will issue any tags this year.

Newfoundland will likely be my next hunt, next year. If you don't make it this year, maybe we canshare a camp next year. I'll be going with Moose Valley Outfitters. They have an exceptional combo price! The reviews of their outfit is just as good!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try the working man's slam... it looks like a pretty good idea actually, read about it n a petersons bowhunting magazine
Old 02-04-2009, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Monie

If you decide on Newfoundland, contact your outfitter before hand to make sure they have been issued caribou tags! If you missed my other post, according to my outfitter, the caribou are in decline and the outfitters are waiting to see if the government will issue any tags this year.

Newfoundland will likely be my next hunt, next year. If you don't make it this year, maybe we canshare a camp next year. I'll be going with Moose Valley Outfitters. They have an exceptional combo price! The reviews of their outfit is just as good!
I will definitely keep that in mind Monie. I'm always up for sharing a camp with someone I know will be good company!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: huntingson
I will definitely keep that in mind Monie. I'm always up for sharing a camp with someone I know will be good company!
Especially if she brings homemade cookies!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Rob,

You know I'm wishing you the best of luck on your pronghorn hunt! Knock one dead!

I had my desert mule deer devoured by feral hogs and scattered to the four winds on Jan 3rd, 09. I made a good 30 yard shot on a 26 inch wide 5x5 while hunting SE N. Mexico. I shot the deer late in the evening and opted toretrieve the beastthe followingmorning. I found a blood trail leading into a mess of pig tracks, pig poop, and uprooted soil. I find neither hide nor hair of my deer from that point.My next desert hunt will have revenge attached.

I'm off to Victoria Island in September for a musk ox.

Jim, what are your plans?
Monie?
And now Prince of Whales Island in May!!!! I just need some friends from Ketchikan and Craig to go tie a couple up for us.

Quick Reply: North American Super Slam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.