Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 North American Super Slam >

North American Super Slam

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

North American Super Slam

Old 04-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default North American Super Slam

So the Super Slam is a long-term dream of mine and I have spent a lot of time researching different species, where to hunt them, etc. However, I am beginning to realize that you have to be a multi-millionaire to be able to afford to complete the slam. For example, desert big horn sheep are nearly impossible to draw a tag. You could put in for years and never draw a tag, or by the time you do you are too old to actually go hunt the dang things because you have arthritis and a walker for Pete's sake. What does it cost to go to Mexico to hunt them you ask?Solomente 60,000dolares Americano (that means $60,000). A stone sheep hunt you ask? Well, those are a bargain at $10,000-$15000 plus a nice "trophy fee" of anywhere between $5000 and $9000. Grizzly, well if you kill one it is a steal at $14000. Who in the hell can actually accomplish this? If I started now and killed one new species per year, it would take me 21 years to complete the slam and cost me approximately my left arm, right leg, and both you know whats (and they rhyme with "whats").

You used to be able to hunt black bear in Ontario for $19. That was the license fee... $19 and you didn't need a guide. Now, a good price is $1000.

Oh well, what's one more dream flushed down the toilet of life?

And it is raining... PERFECT!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: North American Super Slam

Jim, this is why most of the names you hear other than Chuck Adams that have done it all start with Dr. instead or Mr. Big Game Hunting for the ELITE species isn't for the average guy, only for the ELITE members of society that make the BIG $$$. Elk or Caribou will be about as big $$$ as I'll ever go, and that may be a stretch.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's a shame. More and more our past time is becoming pay to play. Hey, you can still have fun hunting the things that you do hunt though, right?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

Jim, this is why most of the names you hear other than Chuck Adams that have done it all start with Dr. instead or Mr. Big Game Hunting for the ELITE species isn't for the average guy, only for the ELITE members of society that make the BIG $$$. Elk or Caribou will be about as big $$$ as I'll ever go, and that may be a stretch.
Good point.

Elk you can do fairly cheap b/c you can get OTC tags and some states aren't bending you over and loading you like a shotgun on license fees like many others are. Caribou even isn't all that bad, depending on sub-species, but it is pricey for sure.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

That's a shame. More and more our past time is becoming pay to play. Hey, you can still have fun hunting the things that you do hunt though, right?
Oh, I will never stop loving to hunt anything. I do get a huge amount of enjoyment out of hunting new things though. The pay to play I am ok with, but it seems to be getting a bit out of hand. I love Canada, but forcing people to use guides, while a brilliant economic move, is frustrating from my POV.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well you could start with State Slams..There used to be recognition for those taking A Buck, Bear and Turkey in PA. (in the same year)
Old 04-09-2008, 08:56 AM

I don't think you have to bea multi millionaire to do it, but you definitely need the correct change... Its seems I read somewhere in the neighborhood of $300K would get you mighty close... The sheep and the bears really drain the budget!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

25-43-32-17-5 9

Lotto numbers, hope it helps
Old 04-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was walking with my brother at a huge outdoor expo a while back, he was booking some African hunts. We came past the sheep outfitters and he said "you see all theses other people and outfitters, they think their rich" he pointed to thesheep people and said "They know their rich".

He told me of a guy who at an auction bid 800,000 for a dall sheep tag and won, he however didn't fill it. The next year he bid 600,000 and won this time filling it.1.4 mil no big dealLOL

It could happen, you aint dead yet.[8D]
Old 04-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

25-43-32-17-5 9

Lotto numbers, hope it helps
Germ I'll play those tonight in Txand let you know how it goes. If they win you pick the hunt you want to go on!

Quick Reply: North American Super Slam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.