Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How should we handle this? >

How should we handle this?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How should we handle this?

Old 04-04-2008, 01:05 PM

Default RE: How should we handle this?

Icall2much, don't make it an issue with the stand locations, he is gonna do what he wants when he goes by himself, after thinking it over for a few minutes, just let him go.... you can still ask him to hunt other places or you can make a big deal out of other spots and maybe he will want to go there. In the end, it is small and he won't be around forever, let him do his thing I guess, my grandfathers never hunted with me or did my father, so I don't know what really to say. I mean my peeps were too busy farming and gave a rats ass about a deer as long as it didn't eat too many soybeans. I guess be appreciative of him and just hunt.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:27 PM

I SAY BUY A USED PORTA JON AND CAMO IT. THERE VENTED AT THE TOP FOR SCENT CONTROL
Old 04-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

"here grandpa, look at ths new hunting suit I bought you...all you have to do is put it in the dryer once a week on high heat for 30 minutes and its ready to go each time you hunt!"....."Love you grandpa".....
Old 04-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Dominant Buck

"here grandpa, look at ths new hunting suit I bought you...all you have to do is put it in the dryer once a week on high heat for 30 minutes and its ready to go each time you hunt!"....."Love you grandpa".....
Grandpa: "I always you knew you were full of ****, son. You resemble the mailman.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:50 PM

Let him do what he wants, but really if he dosnt ur scent control that is ok, its not gonna spook all the animals of the property, if any. but i would suggest ground blinds if ur worried about safetey.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

" Grandpa: "I always you knew you were full of ****, son. You resemble the mailman."

"No really grandpa, all you have to do is put this suit in the dryer....oh dang it, the Brownian Molecule thingy/scent dispersion/cocunut charcoal stuff.....oh crap, just wear all of your old stinky hunting gear upwind of me each morning"

Old 04-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Dominant Buck

"First thing I'm gonna do when I get home son....is smack your momma right in the mouth"
Old 04-04-2008, 01:58 PM

my grandpa killed more deer than i care to think about long before"scent control" was cool. he died in 1995 and i'd give anything to hunt with him one more time, iwouldn't care if he had a pile of sh*t in his pants.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let Grandpa do it his way and capitalize.

The owner of the property I hunt decided to let a a buddy that plows his driveway hunt and I was a little pissed at first. I met the guy as he whispered at me while climbing into MY STAND where he was sitting. He said that he had permission so I climbed back down but did get high enough up to shake his hand and introduce myself. The bastard smelled like he drank an entire bottle of Quervo and seriously smelled like stale onions.
What happened next was amazing, I went 80 yards away to another stand up wind of him and much to my surprise the deer smelled him and came my way, I shot the deer on the right in my avatar that morning and was lucky enough to have the "Mojito Bandito" there to help me drag him out. Since then Bandito has used all of my stands smelling like stale ass and the deer still come through the area.
I am conscious of scent but now pay more attention to the wind and hunt higher areas in the morning and lower areas at night and have no issues. Use Grandpa to your advantage, he just might drive the deer to you!
Old 04-04-2008, 02:51 PM

First of all in all the years your grandpa has been hunting was he any good at it? If he was then I wouldn't say anything. Even if he wasn't it probably will not do you much good anyway. Most people once they have been hunting a few years are pretty set in their ways, let alone 60 or more years. You can talk until you are blue in the face and chances are he will still do it his way, or just not do it anymore at all. He will most likely tell you he is old enough and been doing it long enough to know what he is doing.

If he doesn't want to kill anything I say have everyone chip in and buy him a really nice camera and let him have a blast with it. The nice thing about the new digital cameras is you can take a ton of pictures with them. Might take him a while to get used to it, but I think he will like it. And think of all the fantastic memories you guys will have from it.

If your lucky and your grandpa is healthy you might have another 15 years or so to share with him. But at his age next year or the year after could be his last year hunting.

If it bothers you a lot my advice is to encourage your grandpa to take hikes often in the woods, and go with him if you can. Spend as much time as you can there during the season and the off season. I honestly believe the more you are there the more the deer will get used to you and the less of a problem it will be. Where I used to live we had deer come right in our back yard and bed down. Deer are very adaptive and not really that smart honestly.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Paul

Quick Reply: How should we handle this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.