Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Im too young to know.... >

Im too young to know....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Im too young to know....

Old 03-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Im too young to know....

I'd like to have back the body and the hair I had in the 70's, for sure - thank God disco died and the double knit liesure suit is no more.

Deer were few and far between where I lived back then and theyquit paying bounty on coyotes, where I got a good bit of spending money in high school. Grampa's old farmwas turn into a subdivision in the mid-70'sandlosing the farm put me out on public land. Public land is a lot more crowded than it was then. Access to privatehunting land has gotten a lot more complicated... and ridiculously expensive!

So, in a way, hunting sucks worse today thanit did then. Back then we didn't have manydeer and I didn't often get a shot. Now we have deer butI can't oftenget to 'em.Either someone has beat me to my spot or I can't afford to pay the fee. So, I haven't even bothered to buy a hunting license in the past two years.

All in all, I wouldn't mind a rerun on at least hunting the early 70's, but I'd much prefer a re-go at the 80's.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I remember being able to count on both hands the number of deer seen the whole season, I remember when the compound bows first came out. you never seen another hunter because most did not have the kind of drive to keep them interested. I even remember when climbers first came out. most stands were permanent built. I was young and did not have a clue what i was doing, it was many years before i conected. But i would do it all over again, it was a joyous ride The industry is absolutly huge compared to what it was then.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started hunting in 1972 and there were tons of deer in PA , Lot of big herds 20 to 30 in a pack. Mostly small bucks, the brown its down time. The Rooster hunting was some of the finest in the land in the 70's and early 80's. There are no Roosters in PA anymore just when they stock them for the Hawks, fox and Yotes and what hunters we have that hunt them. The deer hunting is still good and were starting to see the results of the antler restrictions Dr Alt and the Game Commission put in place some years ago. Less deer but some nice rack Bucks are coming out of PA now!!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 03-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started bow hunting in 1977. There were plenty of deer. The one thing that stands out in my mind is the fact that I could bow hunt anywhere! Can you imagine!!!!! One farmer wouldn't let people bow hunt because he found a dead deer that was shot with a bow. He told me bows weren't capableof killing deer.
The other thing that stands out is how stupid of a hunter I was
Old 03-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had an interesting story told to me when I was down at Cabelas filming for River Valley Game Calls interactive TV. We were filming for our deer calls and this older gentleman came up to me and asked me what was happening.

Well, he told us this story when he was in the Norther Tier of PA and in the snow there was a single deer track/trail. (A deer crossed the road in the snow). People came from miles and miles simply to see this deer trail in the snow as deer were almost non existant. It was a real treat to listen to him tell his story.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I love hearing the stories about my grandfather and fathers hunting days! Sometime it would almost bring a tear to my eyes! Miss them both! They used to do deer drives and one time my uncle got turned around, got lost and they found him 16 miles from the cabin! The drive started 1/4 mile from the cabin. How he got 16 miles away and they found him walking down the road at night I'll never know!
Old 03-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I had an interesting story told to me when I was down at Cabelas filming for River Valley Game Calls interactive TV. We were filming for our deer calls and this older gentleman came up to me and asked me what was happening.

Well, he told us this story when he was in the Norther Tier of PA and in the snow there was a single deer track/trail. (A deer crossed the road in the snow). People came from miles and miles simply to see this deer trail in the snow as deer were almost non existant. It was a real treat to listen to him tell his story.
Neat story Rob!