Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

too young?

Old 04-26-2005, 07:19 AM

Default too young?

Hey Folks, not for sure where to post, but thought I'd give it a try here. I'm the father of a 5 year old and wondered when to get her involved in shooting. I'd like to get a bb gun and have her practice and see if she likes it, but honestly I think 5 is too young. When did you start shooting? I'm too old I can't remember.

TIA.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:07 AM

Default RE: too young?

I've got the same problem keith. I've got a friend whose son was shooting a BB gun at five or six. He'd help hold and aim the rifle while the son would pull the trigger.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also can't remember when I started shooting. It's difficult to put a hard cap on age. It really depends on the kid. I would hold off a little though and maybe start with toy guns that are anatomically correct. I think as long as the child can understand the significance and consequences of misusing a firearm (including bb guns) it is probably ok to start out slow with a really weak bb gun. I would probably wait a little bit though. I know I had my first .22 when i was 10 maybe younger.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:01 AM

I started shooting at about that age. When I have kids I will let my kids start shooting at about that age.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I got my first gun (bb) at 10.

I don't think I was too young, but by that age I could somewhat comprehend the idea of responsibility and what the gun in my hands actually meant.

Up to the parent though, I ain't gonna tell you how to raise your kid.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah its up to what you think and how your kid is. I dont know either one of you enough to tell you what to do. I would probably wait a couple years, but good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:31 PM

Up to the parent though, I ain't gonna tell you how to raise your kid.
Agreed.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

my dad and uncles got me and my brother and my cousin all started when we could hold the gun, dont know how old that would be, but i know it was fun to us
Old 04-26-2005, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

i got my first .22 when i was nine and haven't stopped shooting since.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:01 PM

I started shooting at 4 or 5, but wasn't allowed to actally OWN my own gun until I was 10. I bought my first 20 gauge then, for $200.00. Still have it, and love it.
Dad started out just making me watch and learn safety from him and my brother, then he let me pull the trigger (he took the recoil) and then he showed me how to load the gun etc.
First thing I ever shot was a possum-with my dads .22.lol
Good luck with your daughter-I think thats great that you want to get her interested in hunting and shooting.

Quick Reply: too young?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.